MAJOR PROBLEMS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimde

May 27, 2009
Northeast WI
Insurance company called today to notify me that they would not insure my outbuilding with any type of wood fired heating appliance. The building is a brand new 40x60 so insurance is a must. They stated they will check to see if I can install the solo 60 im my attached garage,but will probably have to frame a boiler room and cover the walls and ceiling with 5/8" fire retardant sheetrock. I will be checking with other insurance companies tommorrow.

If its not the government trying to ban boilers its the insurance companies who will pull your policy. How did they find out about it? Solid fuel appliances take a beating from all sides. One thing oil companies and tree huggers can agree on is they don't like people burning wood.

Ask them what statistics they are using to drive this decision? Then ask them to identify the failure mechanism that caused the loss (such as chimney fire, open flame,,,,).

Then you may be able to differentiate your installation from any of those issues.

If all else fails you could put up a boiler shed, sounds like you have the room.

I put mine in a 10 x 12 metal shed just to eliminate any insurance issues .....not that they are aware of the boiler any how. The shed burning up would not cause any other damage other than the boiler and a few tools.
All things considered I think my fireplace is more of a hazard than the boiler , just last week my BIL had a log spit out onto the family room carpet and start the carpet on fire lucky his two boys were there and one put the log back while the other put out the fire so all they have is some melted and burn carpet marks.

My insurance agent has a CB. Very common appliance in these parts.

Stupid question . . . if you are so sure the wood fired appliance is not a fire hazard, what are you insuring the building for?

Chang insurance companies. Mine covered my Tarm in an outbuilding with an additional charge of $50 per year. For whatever reason they did not care when I had an OWB, but once I put a wood boiler inside a building there was an issue. I suppose I could have changed companies and not had the $50 charge, but I've gotten fairly good service from these folks and $50 a year isn't much of an addition.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Stupid question . . . if you are so sure the wood fired appliance is not a fire hazard, what are you insuring the building for?

+1. I was thinking the same thing...my only thought was perhaps storm damage? Other than that...I personally would have prolly saved my coin and just let it ride without...

Fire ,Storm Damage, Theft, Trees falling, Thousands of dollars of construction equipment, Trailers, Lawn tractors, etc. etc. Need Insurance

I consulted with State Farm prior to purchase. They were good to go on mine, a self-contained boiler room in the garage installation plan, after I showed them BioHeat's brochures for the Tarm Solo Innova and that it was UL listed. . You might check them out. Of course the rate increased similar ro dirttracker's.

Mike

Jim I was going to ask how the install was going but I think I kinda already Know.
Webie

Thanks fot the imput. Hi Webie, its good to hear from you again. The install is coming along. I will wait to hear back from my insurance agent and then decide on the shop or attached garage. I guess their are pros and cons to both. I like having the mess in the shop and I would have alot more room for wood storage. It would be easier at nite or early morning in the garage due to not having to dress up and walk 150' to the shop. Also I would be alot cheaper electricity wise with smaller pumps in the garage. I will keep everyone informed.

Allstate increased my policy by $15 a year to cover the install cost of my Greenwood. but actually lowered my homeowners insurance because I located my boiler in the detached garage vs. the house. My agent also owns and operates a CB so he has a realistic view of what we are doing.

I also have Allstate...my boiler is in my basement. I called them and they said they just need to remove the old oil unit and add the wood boiler. No change in policy premium.

I have another meeting with my agent tomorrow afternoon. I will keep everyone informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.