Major score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushfire

Burning Hunk
Nov 19, 2005
Kennett Square, PA
Asplundh were clearing the lines today and I managed to haul 5 truckloads, so maybe 1.5 cord. Mostly walnut, a little locust and a few other things in small quantities that I didn't recognize. Anyhow, got maybe a 1/4 of a cord of what's pictured. Not sure what it is. Very heavy, water basically dripping out of it. I thought a hickory of some sort based on the leaf, but didn't see any nuts lying around. Any thoughts. Pictures are of the mystery wood and the pile after 3 of the 5 trips.
IMG_9541.JPG IMG_9537.JPG IMG_9535.JPG IMG_9533.JPG IMG_9532.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice score! I wish I had a friend who worked for them to score on a regular basis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Great score - lucky bugger ;sick

bob

Yep, hickory it is!

fv

I'm good for this year, but would it be seasoned by 2017/18 winter? I may even be able to wait until 18/19 winter, which I'm sure it'll be fine by then no problem.

I'm good for this year, but would it be seasoned by 2017/18 winter? I may even be able to wait until 18/19 winter, which I'm sure it'll be fine by then no problem.

Hickory will not be sufficiently dry in one year's time in my experience. 2 yrs should be good

Hickory will break your heart by testing your patience. It is positively stubborn. It has that in common with most of us.

Stack it somewhere you won't have to look at it and try to forget it!;)

But when it's ready you'll really get a kick out of it. I'm recalling the most wonderful aroma from some bitternut right now...

Like the others have said, hickory is fickle even within the same stack. Small pieces, in the wind and sun if you want it next year is your only hope. However, check the BTU's on pignut and you will want to be patient as it will be rewarded.

fv

Like the others have said, hickory is fickle even within the same stack. Small pieces, in the wind and sun if you want it next year is your only hope. However, check the BTU's on pignut and you will want to be patient as it will be rewarded.

fv

I think I can afford to be patient (I'm about two years ahead at the moment), so sounds like a good score.

When you burn that walnut, make sure you dump the ashes far from any gardens, the ash is poisonous to plants

When you burn that walnut, make sure you dump the ashes far from any gardens, the ash is poisonous to plants
What is the chemical that makes it poisonous to other plants? If it is organic, would it survive the burning in the stove?

I have about a dozen large walnut trees around the place, and I vacuum all the leaves up off the lawn and compost them to use in the garden. I also have all the ashes saved from last year, and I plan to spread them on the lawn and garden. About 1/3 of the wood I burned last year was from walnut. I've read about the mild herbicide in walnut, but can't say that I have witnessed it. Is this proven, or just lore that continues to be passed along?

What is the chemical that makes it poisonous to other plants? If it is organic, would it survive the burning in the stove?

I have about a dozen large walnut trees around the place, and I vacuum all the leaves up off the lawn and compost them to use in the garden. I also have all the ashes saved from last year, and I plan to spread them on the lawn and garden. About 1/3 of the wood I burned last year was from walnut. I've read about the mild herbicide in walnut, but can't say that I have witnessed it. Is this proven, or just lore that continues to be passed along?

Some plants won't grow under walnut, but there are many native plants (and non-native, I'm sure) that can tolerate the toxins produced by walnut. I would also imagine that the compound, whatever it is, would be chemically changed through the burning process. More research required by the sounds of it.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/gar...nd-walnuts-and-other-juglone-producing-plants

I've put the ashes in my garden for years, including a lot of walnut, and never had a problem. I've never had a problem with anything growing under my walnut trees either. However, I have heard this before.

fv

That is Pignut Hickory I think the leaf you photographed is slightly mis-formed, with the terminal leaflet smaller than usual.

Hickory is dense but a little slow to dry. It will be great firewood in two years.

Some plants won't grow under walnut, but there are many native plants (and non-native, I'm sure) that can tolerate the toxins produced by walnut. I would also imagine that the compound, whatever it is, would be chemically changed through the burning process. More research required by the sounds of it.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/gar...nd-walnuts-and-other-juglone-producing-plants

Thanks for the link, interesting. It's funny, I use Google all the time looking for answers, but really prefer the answers from the Hearth community. I get direct responses, and sometimes good healthy debate. And perhaps a little shot of dopamine to go with it.

I think I am going to turn a few more of the black walnut trees into firewood from strategic spots over the next 5 years. I'm tired of picking up all the nuts every fall, need the sun, and will still have plenty of them left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.