Q&A Make boiler from Lopi stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am a homeowner with a medium-sized average Lopi woodstove. I installed a custom squirrel blower (low acoustical noise) that gives me quite a lot of hot air through the stove ducts, so it heats the whole upstairs very nicely.

I want to create a hot-water heating system, in which I install a boiler that replaces the first two of the insulated asbestos sections.
This boiler must resemble the chrome-plated insulated chimney I have presently, so that the appearance is normal.

It would probably replace the first two sections, therefore, it would be 6' in length. Are you selling such a custom flu boiler presently? I do not want to merely insert a serpentine tube, since it will not even begin to tap the total BTU's available.

Answer:

Here's the thing - if you have a newer Lopi stove, it has a tested efficiency of approx 70%. If it's an older one, then it could be as low as 50-55%. The maximum efficiency that you could get out of a stove is about 80%, as there always must be some heat to carry the by-products and moisture up the chimney. This means the the potential for reclaimed heat is much lower than your estimate.

A setup like you mention may be OK for getting you some domestic hot water, but it will not provide enough hot water to heat large areas of the home. Consider a modern oil or gas boiler. These appliances fire a flame of 100,000+ BTU into a chamber that can reach 1500 degrees F. They also have 20-50 square feet of heating surface (using boiler firetubes) to extract that heat.

In your stove, the flue temperatures are probably as little as 3-400 degrees, and should not be brought down much lower than this.

Stoves with boilers INSIDE them are popular in Europe, but there are none that I know of currently available here. You can find some nice basement wood boilers at https://www.hearth.com/tarm

Link: HS Tarm Wood Boilers

Status
Not open for further replies.