Make it stop!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastorrickfbc

Nov 18, 2014
Conowingo, MD
My Breckwell Big E has a sound this is extremely obnoxious and it is related to the cold outside temperatures. It doesn't make the sound in mild weather, but once it gets below 35 or so outside, start-up is annoying. Once the stove has run about long enough to start the room blower fan, the noise subsides, I am assuming because the stove/motor is no longer cold. The noise is a high pitch screaching sound that comes from the auger. Is there a way to lubricate this away or am I heading toward a repair when the auger seizes up? Thanks for any input that will make it stop. It is pretty loud and wakes people up in the morning. I start it fron cold in the morning. I do not run it overnight.

I have read other posts similar to yours that recommend removing the auger and checking for fines or other debris that might be interfering with the auger movement.

I watched a video of a guy that found is auger was only welded onto the center shaft on each end and it was harmonics between the shaft and the flutes ?? I am a hobby welder so it would be a simple test to try and add a few good tack welds if it were the case. ?? i do not re call the brand or model of stove he was working on.

I watched a video of a guy that found is auger was only welded onto the center shaft on each end and it was harmonics between the shaft and the flutes ?? I am a hobby welder so it would be a simple test to try and add a few good tack welds if it were the case. ?? i do not re call the brand or model of stove he was working on.
That video was for a Harman stove. May not be applicable in this case. To the OP, you should probably remove the auger and clean the hole that the auger runs in. Some people paint their augers with graphite paint to affect a more permanent solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.