Make-up and air removal questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorsuchmill

Mar 14, 2008
Central MD
I'm lining up all the materials for my Tarm install and have a couple of questions:

1) What benefit does an air separator have over an air scoop? My oil boiler uses a scoop and I was going to add the same for my wood boiler given the significant cost difference between scoops/separators?

2) My install diagram shows separate make-up water feeds for the oil and wood boiler runs. Is it possible to simply have a T after the pressure reducing valve and send a feed to each setup instead of having separate PRVs, backflow preventers, etc.? The latter would result in less piping and less cost if it is doable.

Thanks, in advance.

gorsuchmill said:
I'm lining up all the materials for my Tarm install and have a couple of questions:

1) What benefit does an air separator have over an air scoop? My oil boiler uses a scoop and I was going to add the same for my wood boiler given the significant cost difference between scoops/separators?

2) My install diagram shows separate make-up water feeds for the oil and wood boiler runs. Is it possible to simply have a T after the pressure reducing valve and send a feed to each setup instead of having separate PRVs, backflow preventers, etc.? The latter would result in less piping and less cost if it is doable.

Thanks, in advance.

I believe that an air separator offers a higher profit to the supplier ;-)

I think it also does a more effective job at extracting air, especially small bubbles.

I don't know of any reason to have duplicate make-up water. I have a single supply, and that seems to be typical. Each boiler does need its own pressure relief.

Thanks Nofo. Would you simply use a single air separator downstream of where the oil and wood boilers tap into the supply, with an expansion tank and make-up off of the single separator?

Also, where can I acquire purging valves? I've looked on-line and can't seem to track them down. I'm disinclined to use my local plumbing supplier because they seem to want to gouge me. For example, I was quoted $110 for a Watts T&P;valve for my hot water heater and was able to find the same item on-line for about $20 with shipping. Maybe it was an honest mistake, but those types of things seem to happen more frequently than sumple oversight would suggest. I suppose I shouldn't wear a coat and tie (my work get up) when going to the supply houses.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.