Makeshift oven for your woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tradergordo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 31, 2006
Phoenixville, PA
gordosoft.com
Just wondering if any of you have created a homemade oven for baking on your woodstove?

I have seen this elaborate solution:
http://www.gulland.ca/homenergy/stove.htm

But what I had in mind was something much simpler - like using parts from a charcoal grill or something homemade from sheetmetal? Don't know yet, was hoping others have already done it and can tell me what works. This would be for baking anything (pizza, pies, cookies, etc.)

I use a Coleman-type oven, made for propane camp stoves. Works great. Got the three that I have at flea markets, auctions, etc. for a buck or two. I gave one to a friend who has no electricity, etc.- he uses it all the time on his woodstove. Can't do a turkey in it, but muffins, cornbread, etc. are great. You can bake in a dutch oven too.

Attachments

• Makeshift oven for your woodstove?
    oven.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 941
Any outdoor store should carry them, in the area of the camping gear or cast iron pans. They run $25-35 new. Flea market season is pretty much over here for the year.

Wow, three bills for a metal box! I could see if it had a thermostatically-controlled vent on it, but that's a bit steep, even if it does match my stove. It is nice, I guess if you had a PE stove and wanted to bake alot, it would be worth it for the size and good fit.

I found that an "inverted box" shaped piece of heavy duty aluminum foil worked wonders to cook pizza and bread sticks during the power outage of '04. Cost about $0.03.

Corey

Yea - that's pretty much what I had in mind to build (the pacific energy stove top oven). I like the thermostatically controlled vent idea. I saw charcoal grills on clearance at walmart for $10, they have a nice big square metal hood with adjustable vent at the top. This could be used, plus add a grill thermometer (also on clearance for $2) and all I would need to work on is the bottom and possibly a window. But a cheap camp stove might be an easier starting point.

Gunner said:
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacoven.htm
I just about posted that link Gunner ........... :lol: ...........

I didnt want to upset a few in the group with "SPAM" tho .

So that would be the brand X cook top stove and i understand it works good but i cant reveal my source. ;-)

Roospike said:
Gunner said:
I just about posted that link Gunner ........... :lol: ...........

I didnt want to upset a few in the group with "SPAM" tho .

So that would be the brand X cook top stove and i understand it works good but i cant reveal my source. ;-)

But, do they come in RED? ;)

seriously, they are really nice, as a permanent addition to the stove. I'd probably have one if I had a stove in the living room. Kind of hard to mount one of those on my furnace.

Roospike-I've always wanted to work for a stove company...they offered me double what they were paying you :snake:

Yes...they are quite expensive, as alot of hearth stuff seems to be $200 tool sets, $100 enameled kettles etc. I guess it depends on how much you want to use it. You could get something to work for under 50 bucks, but if it doesn't work well or is a pain to operate then you will end up not using it at all and you money is waisted. My dealer had one of these in the store...it looked good, alot of it is made of SS, vents on top etc. The biggest plus to this unit IMO is the glass door, allowing you to monitor without opening up and letting the heat out, a big no no when baking.

Gunner said:
Roospike-I've always wanted to work for a stove company...they offered me double what they were paying you :snake:

Yes...they are quite expensive, as alot of hearth stuff seems to be $200 tool sets, $100 enameled kettles etc. I guess it depends on how much you want to use it. You could get something to work for under 50 bucks, but if it doesn't work well or is a pain to operate then you will end up not using it at all and you money is waisted. My dealer had one of these in the store...it looked good, alot of it is made of SS, vents on top etc. The biggest plus to this unit IMO is the glass door, allowing you to monitor without opening up and letting the heat out, a big no no when baking.
You took the words right out of my unemployed from commishioned mouth . :lol:
Any low quantity high quality item is going to be high ......... If the sales were more then "over seas" would get a hold of it and make them out of tin and plastic and sell them for less .

Be careful Gunner and don't say the"brand name" too many times or the few select elite butty soapstove police will be knocking at your door. :lol:

I think the simplest solution is to buy yourself a cast iron dutch oven for $20-$30 used for camping and use the wood coals in your stove as your heat source. There is lots of information about this kind of cooking on the web.

Roospike said:
.....don't say the"brand name" too many times or the few select elite butty soapstove police will be knocking at your door. :lol:

Don't even use the initials! :)

Hey if you like it, and it works for you, then it's all good. Personally, I like the looks of "Brand X" stoves, oven or no.

Gunner said:

Saw that and can remember the smell of my grandparents house at Thanksgiving when she would be cooking the monster turkey in the big Glenwood in the basement of the house...juiciest turkey going...

Status
Not open for further replies.