Makeup air through ash cleanout?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yenrac

Feb 11, 2009
Upstate NY
I want to install a vented NG insert in our fireplace. The FP is on an exterior wall; ash cleanout is outdoors. Can I get combustion air from/through the ash cleanout instead of from up the chimney? (I would still run the exhaust liner up the chimney.) Is there any brand of insert which accomodates this idea?
Thanks.
Yenrac

<>I want to install a vented NG insert in our fireplace. The FP is on an exterior wall; ash cleanout is outdoors. Can I get combustion air from/through the ash cleanout instead of from up the chimney? (I would still run the exhaust liner up the chimney.) Is there any brand of insert which accomodates this idea?<>

Is there a valid reason why you'd wanna do it?
I suppose you could make an adapter, but if you're gonna run ONE liner up the flue, you might as
well run em both & block off the ash dump with insulation...
Nobody makes an insert that gets fresh air in that manner that I know of...

Thanks DAKSY. No valid reason. Just seemed like a neat idea. Also it seemed like it would be cheaper.
You seem to know what you're talking about - are you in the business of gas inserts.? I'm in the Guilderland NY area; have not yet looked for a source for a unit.

yenrac.

Hey yenrac...
Yep. I'm in the business...
In Albany, coupla miles from Guilderland...
I PMed you with the details...
PM me back if you want more info on how to install these units...

Status
Not open for further replies.