1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Makin' kin'lin

Post in 'The Gear' started by LLigetfa, Nov 24, 2012.

1. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Lot of people love those, gotta get one.

Great handle,PW - favorite Paulie Walnuts line : (Shortly after he was told about a guy from the Russian interior ministry that had killed 16 Chechen rebels)

" You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    Here's a link to a thread I posted a little over two years ago, with pics, showing how I make kindling out of cedar fence posts.
    In the original post I mention something about making my own 'fatwood.' Technically, it's not fatwood but works just as well in my experience and it's very cheap. I get at least two years worth of kindling sticks out of one fence post. It's a lot cleaner than scraping up chips off the ground.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/making-my-own-fat-wood.60147/#post-60147
  3. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    I got the X27 and X7, and on the guards for both tools, there is a symbol showing not to strike it with a hammer. So, I am guessing that using the 4 lb hammer on the new X7 might not be a good idea. Maybe the softer metal of the cheap hatchet is designed to mushroom like it is doing. Sort of like some really old masonry chisels that I have seen.
  4. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    The X7, or any other ax is not intended to be used as a wedge. If you want a wedge, get one and pound it with small sledge. Spare the X7.
  5. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I never "make kin'lin" by splitting big things up, I just cut all the branch tips down to about an inch or so and stack it all right in with the bigger stuff in my piles. My stacks are full of tiny little "rounds" all through them. Whatever is left after that goes into wildlife brush piles.