Making a control box for a bulk feed secondary fill station

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the system challenge. We have a 4.3 ton silo out doors with a 3inch conveying tube leading into a receiver powered by a central vac. The receiver allows the suction to separate the fines from the fuel and the fuel drops into a 20 gallon bin. The bin has a 4 inch slide plate at the bottom which needs to be open when the vac is off and closed when the vac is on. The vac cannot convey pellets to the receiving bin unless the container is sealed.

The trick here is to make the feed from the silo to the receiver completely automatic when power is on to the vac. I want to wire it all 120v AC if possible but I do not know too much about relays and controls, but here is what I need to do...

Vac power ON with switch _diffused photo eye senses the receiving bin is low on fuel_power is sent to a actuating motor to close slide plate under receiving bin to seal container_NO micro switch senses slide plate closed and vac turns on_pellets feed_as receiving bins fills I need a control to to stop the flow of fuel. Perhaps another switch? Or maybe use a photo eye switch which can go between NO and NC...not sure_when sensing control reads full power to the vac is turned off and the fuel motor to open the slide plate is again powered in the reverse direction.

Help is appreciated.

Sounds like your to lazy to use a standard on/off switch? Much simpler IMHO. But if you must be techie. :)

How much do you want to spend?

You can pick up some easy (inexpensive) material feeders from used plastics supply companies.

These have electric loaders and all the controls and sensors built in.

New an 110 V system is about $1500. I bet you could search online and find a used system surplus for $300 to $500 which is less than all the switches and electric eyes you would need to make it work.

Hello Scott

Sounds like you need an electric eye mounted towards the top of the bin so when it is full the beam is broken.

Are you using a sensor beam like this Sears kit?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM4944710301P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Anyway, whichever you want NO/NC you can get that by using the trusty ole Rat shack relay below.

125VAC/10A DPDT double pole double throw relay. If you need more amps you can use both arms together for 20 amps
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049721

I have made a few things with this relay, the one my wife likes is when she opens the doors under the sink the 120 volt light under there goes on automatically.

See my pics below :) Can u post some pics? That would be very helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• UsinkL70sc.jpg
    UsinkL70sc.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 155
  • UsinkL60sc.jpg
    UsinkL60sc.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 150
Status
Not open for further replies.