Making a fireplace smaller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zachhandler

Nov 23, 2009
Minnesota
I am about to replce my old fireplace insert with a smaller EPA one.
Problem is the fireplace opening is 44" wide x 32" tall. This looked fine with the old dinasaur insert which was huge, but with the newer ones (Lopi Answer for example) this would need a huge ugly sheet metal surround. Like more than 14". Since I'm about to redo the hearth anyway, is there an OK way to make the opening smaller? The current fireplace is brick with marble over that. I am going to remove the marble and replace with slate tiles, and cerat a mtching hearth pad that's up to code.

Thanks in advance!

There are some people here that insert inserts w/o the surround. Instead the firebricks in the fireplace are painted flat black and the insert is pushed back a bit. FWIW.

Looking at some pictures of absolutely beautiful setups, this may not be for everyone though! But it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.