Making a stove level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2013
Boonton, NJ
I just installed my new Summers Heat 50-SHSSW01, same as the Madison Smart Stove, and noticed that my hearth is not level which in turn makes the stove not level. It is leaning forward a good 1/2". The stove has a hollow pedestal stand and no option for adjustable legs. I broke up some slate and used pieces to shim up the front, trying my best to shim up the sides as well. It worked well and the stove is now level, however my fear and what is keeping me up until 12:30am is the fact that "I BELIEVE" (OCD) it is bending the pedestal base that is covering the floor and will eventually drop back to an unlevel state due to constant weight.

Any suggestions as to what I can as a quick fix for this unlevel hearth issue? Is my solution ok? I do not have the time or resources to rebuild the hearth from scratch. The hearth is even with the finished oak flooring and is pieces of 1/2" slate tiles that are mortared to backer board. Problem is the house has a seriously warped floor being built in 1890.

Any help would be great.

If it is a true 1/2"... why not just get some flat steel stock at any home improvement store, and cut some squares out of it and stack to match height? Noncombustable, and certainly rugged enough.

Must be interesting to be OCD in an out of square old house. Just run the flat stock in one piece along the whole front edge. The pedestal is not going to fold.

Reactions: bholler
we usually use washers but a single piece of flat stock would look better if it is visible

Status
Not open for further replies.