making f3cb work perfect?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
hello i have jotul f3cb and it works great it heats my 900 sq ft home perfect, better then perfect other nite was 19 degrees out and i had to open window. anyway the way ive been working this stove is at nite before i go to bed i load it up get temp up to about 600 degrees and then damper it all the way down so it burns hot and long all nite is this right? when i wake up 8 hrs later, stove is stiil hot and plenty of hot coals. i put in little newspaper and some wood and whoosh burning again, i do the same procedure before i go to work and let it burn all day and get it going when i get home from work. is it ok to damper all the way down? thanks

If you are getting 8 hr burns in this stove, you have to tell us what you are doing. That's pretty amazing. What type of wood are you burning?

That has really got to be one of the longest burn times I have heard of from this stove. Check your stack, if it is looking clean, then you, my friend, have figured out the "X" factor.

I do encourage you to inspect your stack. This is a very long burn for that stove and I would hate to see you fill your stack with gunk. Safety first.

I've got 8 hour burns in my F3CB. The key is to not empty the ash drawer and have a layer in the bottom on the stove. Load it up with wood that packs tight on a good bed of coals. I went from midnight to 8am with pine rounds/almond splits and was able to get the stove going by adding kindling.

My chimney is 15' and this was with an overnight temp in the 30s.

ya henry rollins is exactly right its all about the ash and coals like i said it get it real hot then pack it as tightly as i can damper all the way down.., my inside pipe is about 6ft and 8 ft up on top of the roof outside. i cleaned the pipe one end to the other nov 1st. so i guess im doing things right. im burning all kinds of wood but a lot of maple some oak and ash, but most of my wood is from scrounging so im burning any and all types of wood. in the morning i rake the ash foward just a little and underneath is a whole bed of hot coals i put in a little paper and kindling and some mid sized logs usually small birch logs and open damper all the way up and woosh. repeat when i get home from work. key is leaving good amount of ash on bottom of stove....... 8 hrs

Being a lazy sob, I always deferred on ash emptying. But only once or twice did we ever have coals after 8 hrs. on this stove, no matter what wood or how it was packed. But then again, we never had oak to burn.

I'm thinking the short stacks factor in there, too. Min. in the manual is 14 feet.

Oak rules!

just did it last night had poplar and ash and 1 peice of maple in stove. got up this am to smaLL bed of coals. i found it also helps if have been burning all day that way there is a ton of ash.

Why does the large pile of ashes help keep the stove burning? I empty my ash pan every couple of days. Maybe I will delay this now.... I can see how the hot coals help the heat pumping, but not the ashes.

Lots of ash helps insulate the coalbed.

I recently have gotten 6 to 7 hour burn cycles from my F3CB. I've followed the advice on this thread: keep the coal bed thick and hot, burn seasoned hard wood, and enjoy. Last night I loaded two white oak splints on top of a thick coal bed of walnut, oak, and elm. I turned the primary air all the way down, and coals were present 6 hours later.

i found also if u get it really hot like 600 before u damper and pack it real good with hard woods 8 hr burn is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.