Making my own chain loops?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremebison

Dec 27, 2010
Yukon Canada
I got given a Oregen Chain Breaker and Rivot Spinner for free. Brand new in the box.

Anybody out there making up there own chain?

I know nothing about chain building and before I just went to our local Husky dealer and purchased my chain. I'm sure I can figure out the tools and how to do it, just which chain to buy?

My ? is what chain do I buy? I went a Bailey's site and the selection is unreal.

I got Husky 55 with a 20" bar for limbing and bucking
Also run a Husky 3120 with ripper chain on my mill, but also run this saw bucking wood with a 24" bar.
What chain would be recommended for these units and jobs?

I mostly cut spruce, poplar, some pine.

1 more ? the oregon spinner and breaker, can it only be used on Oregon chain? Or can I use on other brands of chain?

Making chain will be economical as I do a lot of cutting, also going to share the purchase cost of the chain reels with friends, making there loops for there mills and saws.

Thanks
Byron

Status
Not open for further replies.