Making Pellet Selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlwschultz

May 1, 2008
Southern Maine
Have a Harman XXV. Here are my pellet options (with free delivery):
Lignetics - $325/ton
Geneva - $260/ton
Corinth - $259/ton
Maine Woods - $245/ton

Been using the Corinth (got a free ton with the stove) & they've been burning fine, so problems with the stove. They are a little long & sometimes grind up in the auger, and I think they put out more ash than indicated, but pleased with heat output & pellets not causing issues with the stove.

So, what pellet would you choose? Anything else will cost me more with delivery charges, so I'm limiting my selection to the ones I don't have to pay a delivery fee for.

Thanks in advance! Hope you're staying warm!!

Ligs are way too expensive! MWP are pretty decent along with the Corinth. Geneva also been doing good for the people I have spoken too!

MWP, Geneva or Corinth should be dandy in the XXV. The Harmans are pretty easy to choose for. Buy what works for your pocket book! Also if you can fetch a few to se how they do JIC. Best to try before you buy if possible. Don't need to get stuck with a mess of them if the stove or owner doesn't like the burn.

I bought a ton of MWP from this site for $219 delivered. It's located in North Jay. Claims he'll deliver statewide for the same price. I know he delivered 2 tons to Millinocket for that price.

sibwoodpellets.com

mlwschultz said:
Do you like the MWP?

I've only burned 6 bags that I bought earlier this year at HD and I mixed them with Greene Team, so I really don't have a good feel for them. From what I read on here, they're an OK pellet at that price. They're certainly not up there with the Okanagon, Barefoot, Cubex or other hot buring pellets. We don't have a great slection of good pellets here in Maine, and the one's we can find are very expensive. I've been happily burning Greene Team until Lowe's raised the price by $70/ton.

After buying 4 bags of Fireside pellets from HD last week, I've really regret loading up with 3 tons of Genevas. The Genevas had a ton of ash (although it was very light and cleaned off the glass easily), my batch so far have been full of fine and super dusty, noticeably less heat than the Fireside, and last but not least Fireside was much cheaper $207/ton vs $249/ton(sans delivery) for Genevas. Going to pick up another 20 bags of Fireside this weekend, and maybe sample a few other brands including Okies, which is top dollar right now in my area $6/bag

MWP seems about right on par with Genevas in my stove.

Sounds like I'm staying with the Corinth. At least I know how they perform in our stove. Most stove places are a long ways away & few will deliver to our area, and it's too far to have to travel to pick them up (we'd have to make 2 trips/ton). The Corinth have been providing nice heating for us, just more ash than I'd like, but do not cause any stove problems.

I also found Inferno's for $270/ton. We'd have to pick them up (the closest place, only 1/2 hour each way).

Thanks for the input!!

mlwschultz said:
Sounds like I'm staying with the Corinth. At least I know how they perform in our stove. Most stove places are a long ways away & few will deliver to our area, and it's too far to have to travel to pick them up (we'd have to make 2 trips/ton). The Corinth have been providing nice heating for us, just more ash than I'd like, but do not cause any stove problems.

I also found Inferno's for $270/ton. We'd have to pick them up (the closest place, only 1/2 hour each way).

Thanks for the input!!

I'm a newbie, but from what I've been reading here, stay away from Infernos even at under $200/ton. Do a search on the forum on Infernos and you'll see what I mean.

Decided to go with the Geneva's this time. I read some good reviews about them, and they should have less ash than the Corinth (which has loads more ash than the NEWP we use in the other stove). If we don't like them, we can go back to Corinth next time. We'll know soon enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.