Making some head way on red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capetownkg

Oct 31, 2012
Southern Maryland
Got a cool June morning to do some splitting. Out of town for a wedding this weekend but hopefully by next week I will have all the oak up out of the woods and to my splitting station.

I wish i had better stacking locations but I'm really limited due to the vast amount of trees around the house. Don't really have a large sunny area. The only sunny area is fairly sloped. If anyone has a suggestion for a stacking setup on a slope let me know.
20130606_094007.jpg

Nice pile of wood.
The small spits should help id season faster.

Slope stacking, get some pallets.
Put some rocks, logs, treated wood, under the down hill side so the pallet is level.

If you are going to use the area for wood for many years, level off sections in long, pallet wide steps.

Really nice red oaks splits there. What I did on a 32 ft. downhill run was start at one end at ground level with a 8ft. landscaping timber and using a level added concrete blocks on the other end until level and filled in at about 4ft in the middle as needed. Did this with 4 landscaping timbers length wise and of course two wide. For the most part was about a 8 inch concrete block drop over 8ft, maybe two at most. Looks cool and neat from a distance and worked. Just took some patience, materials and effort. A real steep drop probably wouldn't be worth it though.

Got a cool June morning to do some splitting. Out of town for a wedding this weekend but hopefully by next week I will have all the oak up out of the woods and to my splitting station.

I wish i had better stacking locations but I'm really limited due to the vast amount of trees around the house. Don't really have a large sunny area. The only sunny area is fairly sloped. If anyone has a suggestion for a stacking setup on a slope let me know.

Capetown, don't be too concerned about the shade. We stack in the shade many times and so long as you get some good wind or air circulation, that wood will dry just fine. However, you won't have very good luck drying oak in a year! We give it 3 before trying to burn it.

Capetown that is some beautiful red oak splits. I think I can smell it from here.:)

Thanks guys for the advice and compliments

Status
Not open for further replies.