Making the right choice for a new home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaislip

Oct 22, 2016
Trade, TN
My wife and I are finally planning our new home in the mountains of NC/TN. My goal is to reduce heating costs by supplementing with wood but I don't want to completely lose the pleasant aspects of having a visible, crackling fire in a traditional fireplace. One obvious option is to have a freestanding wood stove beside a traditional fireplace. I'm assuming they could share a chimney/exhaust. However, this option significantly reduces the available floor space. I suppose a 'fireplace insert' would work, but most of these seem very small with a restricted view of the flames. I recently found something that looks like a larger version of the fireplace insert ( http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Fireplaces/EX90.aspx ) but I'm not exactly sure what this type of solution is called and am unable to find many similar options.

What are your thoughts? What would you put in a new home? Do you know of any alternatives which are similar to the EX90?

Thanks!
Josh

EDIT: After more reading of other posts, I felt it would be helpful to include the floor plan:

(attached in post below)

We will not be including the two fireplaces on the lower level but will likely keep the outdoor fireplace on the main floor. Any suggestions on the best way to move heat around the house would also be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Factory built, or zero clearance fireplace seems like what you're looking for. But if it was me I'd go for a stove.

Some woodstoves have an optional fire screen.

Yes, it sounds like you may want an EPA zero-clearance fireplace. They come in different sizes and trim and can be good heaters while maintaining a traditional fireplace look. The fireplace can be installed with a brick or stone face for enhancement. Take a look at ZCs like the Kozy Z42, Quadrafire 7000, Astria Montecito Estate, and RSF Opel for some ideas.

Can you post the floorplan directly to the website? Only the upper floor is showing.

welcome to the forum,

we just installed an Osburn Stratford zc fireplace and it has great view of the fire through the doors. this is a great fit for our home as we didnt want to sacrifice the floor space and already had a chase built on an exterior wall, which held a gas insert. though it may not heat like a free standing stove, i expect it to serve us well for our climate and heating requirements.

Yes, it sounds like you may want an EPA zero-clearance fireplace. They come in different sizes and trim and can be good heaters while maintaining a traditional fireplace look. The fireplace can be installed with a brick or stone face for enhancement. Take a look at ZCs like the Kozy Z42, Quadrafire 7000, Astria Montecito Estate, and RSF Opel for some ideas.

Can you post the floorplan directly to the website? Only the upper floor is showing.

Thanks for the reply! I've been reading non-stop since my first post and certainly know more now than I did then. I've added each of the ZCs you recommended to my list along with the EX90 and the FP30. I'm also now realizing that choosing the ZC is only half the battle. Determining the best way to move the heat around the house seems to also be a challenge. I attached the floor plan.

-Josh

Attachments

• floorplan.jpg
    floorplan.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 94
It's a pretty open floorplan, but with the wide open ceiling to from the great room to the upper floor I think a lot of heat is going to head right upstairs. For sure you will want one or two ceiling fans there to help break up heat stratification. Or skip the balcony and put a bit media/playroom in that space. :cool:

Some fireplaces have ductable heat output that possibly could be ducted over to the kitchen or bedroom

I did notice that the FP30 has two optional remote heat duct attachments. However, the maximum run is 20 feet which would make it impossible to reach the master bedroom. I also see that you can only run horizontal or upward which would also make it difficult to reach the kitchen. If the outdoor fireplace doesn't interfere, I suppose one remote heat duct could go to the wall in the dining room if that would be beneficial.

I made a note regarding the ceiling fans. Thanks! If I manage to generate enough heat for the main and upper levels, I suppose I would need my primary heat source to be designed such that it can be turned on only in the basement.

Yes the primary heat source should be zoned with separate thermostats for the lower and main levels.

The Quad 7100 has a provision for blower intake air that can be ducted as a return duct. That could run to the kitchen or MBR. As it pulled cooler air from the return grille warm air would replace it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.