Making the switch to pellet (I think)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bassmasta

Oct 22, 2018
Missouri
We've done some initial research and are leaning towards an Enviro M55 pellet stove. We've been burning a large Dutchwest since 1999 however harvesting wood is getting to be a challenge with the amount of birthday candles I'm blowing out.

Yesterday as I was chatting with a Dealer(who formally carried Enviro), he informed me that he received a letter from Enviro last July stating they were getting out of the pellet stove business due to the stringent 2020 regs.

As if there wasn’t enough confusion navigating pellet stove research this has added another dimension of questions. I pulled up this link from the EPA sight and there are two line items for the M55. One says it’s approved, one say’s it’s not.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodst...ype=basic&z_outofproduction=0&sortby=FuelSort

Is this dealer pulling my leg in order to sell an alternative brand(LOPI in his case) or Enviro getting out of the pellet stove business? We obviously don’t want to get locked into a brand with planned obsolescence and struggle to find parts down the road.

Thank you in advance for any insight. Didn’t think the switch would be this frustrating to navigate with the EPA shenanigans but as Ronald Reagan famously stated, “The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”

Reactions: railfanron
Enviro is dropping some poor-selling models
But the M55 is not one of them
The m55 is a good stove built in Canada
that heats a large area. I have used
an Enviro stove for 18 years with no
major problems

Reactions: Ssyko