Making Wooden Splitting Wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this or if it should go in the woodshed. Anyway, wanted to make some wooden wedges to use in splitting some large rounds after they are noodled. I've done searches on here and on google but have found much. Any lessons learned I can get would be appreciated? What type of wood, what angle, how long, how should the grain run, green wood, seasoned wood, etc.....

Never used wooden wedges for splitting but have been making felling wedges from dry local Hickory or Hophornbeam (Ironwood) for years.A variety of lengths up to 12"-14",head thickness 1"-1 1/2",widths 3"-4 1/2".Sawed with the grain,putting a small bevel on striking end to avoid mushrooming.

Attachments

• felling wedges.jpg
    felling wedges.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,665
Thistle said:
Never used wooden wedges for splitting but have been making felling wedges from dry local Hickory or Hophornbeam (Ironwood) for years.A variety of lengths up to 12"-14",head thickness 1"-1 1/2",widths 3"-4 1/2".Sawed with the grain,putting a small bevel on striking end to avoid mushrooming.

Thistle do you use a band saw when making your wedges?

Zap

zapny said:
Thistle said:

Thistle do you use a band saw when making your wedges?

Zap

Yes I do.Also made a couple 'temporary' larger ones with chain saw when out in the field.They have to be somewhat 'oversize' from larger logs cause of 3/8" kerf compared to 1/16" or less with bandsaw.

Harbor Freight is selling 8" plastic wedges for $5.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.