Making Your Own Wood Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman12

Sep 16, 2011
Rutland, MA
I was thinking yesterday how hard it would be and what equipment would be needed to start making your own pellets? Not sure if there is a smaller version for a residential pellet maker. Has anyone ever done this or know what is involved? I was trying to figure out if I could save money by doing this or if it's a waste of time and I should continue buying them. What is everyone's opinion on this?

I was thinking yesterday how hard it would be and what equipment would be needed to start making your own pellets? Not sure if there is a smaller version for a residential pellet maker. Has anyone ever done this or know what is involved? I was trying to figure out if I could save money by doing this or if it's a waste of time and I should continue buying them. What is everyone's opinion on this?

If you do a search of the forum you'll find a thread about home made pellets, bottom line too expensive & time consuming just keep buying and happy burning.

Reactions: smoke show
There are some YouTube videos showcasing the small mills. Might be a fun hobby if you have the $cratch and a source of fiber. The English ring die mill looks the best but also the most expensive at $5-6K.

I would like to do it and it sounds like fun, but I don't have $5-6K to do it. Guess I'll stick to buying pellets. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.