Male End Pointing Down? Simpson Duraliner Rigid Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtgrain

Oct 24, 2009
Ypsilanti, MI
I swear I've read in several threads that when putting rigid pipe in a chimney, one should have the male end of the pipe point down, with the female ends pointing up. I could not find this with a lot of searching. Is it correct?

Which end fits in your ceiling adapter or thimble? Which end fits in your stove? If you want to reverse it you may have to make your own male-male section.

You point the male end down so that the creosote will enter into the female section of the pipe below it. Your chimney is a negative pressured system so you don't have to worry about smoke coming out of the seams.

Mine was all marked with the direction of flow

I used the same liner. It does have arrows marked on it, tape decals I think.
On this liner, you want the part that has the inner & outer shells separated facing own, the inner shell slides inside the "male looking end" of the pipe below it. The outer shell of the same end goes outside the male looking end.
It seems confusing, but what your perceiving as the female end actually slips over both inner & outer sides of the male looking end. Thus the inner shell slipping inside the pipe below is actually correct. As it lets any creosote goo that may form to drip down inside to the stove and not all down the outside of the pipe.

Thanks all. Hogwildz, that makes sense. I read and re-read the manual without seeing it stated, although the diagrams seem to show it as Hogwildz described. It makes sense, now that I think about it. Thanks.

Dirtgrain said:
Thanks all. Hogwildz, that makes sense. I read and re-read the manual without seeing it stated, although the diagrams seem to show it as Hogwildz described. It makes sense, now that I think about it. Thanks.

Glad to be of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.