Mallard's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We still have part of our property that I cut on under water but the wildlife love it. Not the best picture but they moved real quick so I took the picture the best I could.

I think there was 12 little ones I counted.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3084.jpg
    100_3084.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 265
the mallard hens are out on the lake (along the shoreline) with their little ones this past weekend. very small...not even the size of a tennis ball.
only thing is, we saw three broods (10-11 each brood) but only two hens.. seems that one hen had enough of motherhood already. i guess it's a hen's choice????? their was a hen that would come to the area of the 11 single ducklings, but not close enough to them to "re-unite" so it may not have been her. another hen brought her own family near, which the 11 ducklings immediately joined up with them....the results were not so favorable...we have never seen a hen abandon the ducklings like that. i doubt that she "martyred" herself for the sake of the brood, doesn't work that way either

Always nice to see the wildlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.