Malm Zircon conversion to Ventless Gas Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyshep77

Nov 18, 2014
New York, NY
Hello All,

I wonder if you can help. I have a Malm Zircon. I would like to see if it could be used for ventless gas logs and if so, if anyone has any experience with the set-up. It seems simple - Maybe a little too simple! Has anyone tried doing this? If so, what were the issues you faced. And of course most importantly, are there any safety concerns with converting a Zircon to Ventless Gas.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

I would never try to burn ventless in an appliance designed to be vented.

From the directions: "The unit is a vented appliance and must be connected to a chimney/flue in accordance with the code, using the chimney manufacturer's instructions."

(and of course there is plenty of debate about whether it is a good idea to burn ventless even in appliances specifically designed for it, but that's a different question).

Unless the manufacturer says it is okay to use a different logset than the one that comes with the unit (and the manual says its not) and that it is okay to use it as a ventless device (and the manual says that it is not), then yes, there are definite safety concerns.

To paraphrase what I saw on here yesterday, if you are going to invite fire into your home, do so with the utmost caution and the greatest respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.