Man am I startin to like the KING!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Another boring BK accolade loaded him up at 8pm last night 4 HUGE white oak splits 8 inches square I'd guess, filled in the cracks with smaller ones stove was packed. Got the temp in 1600 sq ft house to 74 degrees bedroom in back 50 feet from stove keep door closed stays 10 degrees cooler. Cut her back to to 1.5 for the night this morning at 6 house still 74 plenty of black wood still simmering.This afternoon at 4pm raked plenty of red hot coals evenly throughout the stove loaded up again, the King took off like a ***** ape house was still 72 degrees upon reloading this afternoon at 4pm.My wood moisture was 18% when I split one and checked. IF he doesn't do any better than that the rest of the winter I WON'T be complaining. PS I haven't brought out my real cold weather wood yet,osage orange and black locust wonder how they'll burn and how long?My other 4 stoves of the past couldn't even come close to these burn times of productive heat.Long live the King.Twenty hours of useful heat what more can you ask?

That has to be super that you are burning white oak and then state you save the best wood for real cold weather!

16 hrs for a King packed with oak? Hmmm, not quite up to par with the other King lovers around here.
The others are getting that on 3 or 4 splits according to other posts on the site.
You may lose your King badge now...... LOL
Enjoy the heat man.

Hogwildz said:
16 hrs for a King packed with oak? Hmmm, not quite up to par with the other King lovers around here.
The others are getting that on 3 or 4 splits according to other posts on the site.
Enjoy the heat man.
I would like to say I get that, but I don't. If I load it full I can can get 24 hours of decent heat, if I put it on 1, it would burn that long, but no real heat coming off 3 splits. It was in the low 20's here last night, I woke up hot at 3a.m., 8 hrs deep into a load! It's a very impressive heat, no stove can compare to the burn time, I have no complaints. I have been burning a lot of Silver Maple, and in colder weather Oak,Walnut and other hardwoods, I can't tell a real big difference in burn times. Has anyone else experimented with softer wood in a King?

Pretty much same thing I did except loaded at 10 last night.
Got home at 5..wife came home at 3 and already had turned it to 2.5..nice fire with wood still left.
I threw in two more small to med pieces and it will be fine till the night load at 10.
BTW..it was windy today..up to 35 mph..low 20's.
Check hi low therm in next room..temp never got below 68.
I only had it on one since last night so the t-stat did not open...lest I think it didn't.
Ash wood cut this spring early...I have some over two years old and I can see the diff when I burn that..but I'm saving it along with my locust and oak for the deep freeze..bring it!

No wonder I never see any Blaze Kings on Craigslist... Wowsers !!

Being a novice burning a King, if I never get more than a 20 burn again I'm happy,especially burning that chit white oak a 10X12 shed full stacked 7 feet tall. That crap is 7 years old and still at 18% MC my fault though. I put it in there green before I knew better. When I cut the air back that cat illuminated an 800 sq foot area unbelievably.

All I can say is ...
I AM JEALOUS
But you guys got me thinking about my basement

ohlongarm said:
Being a novice burning a King, if I never get more than a 20 burn again I'm happy,especially burning that chit white oak a 10X12 shed full stacked 7 feet tall. That crap is 7 years old and still at 18% MC my fault though. I put it in there green before I knew better. When I cut the air back that cat illuminated an 800 sq foot area unbelievably.

Ain't that cool..I mean hot..lol.

You want a long azz burn..just char it less on the night reload.
I did that a few times around 9 at night.
Went to bed around 11 and not much going on..but it will pick back up later(cat activity) and come to life.
I have come down at 6:30 in the morning to lots of wood ..cat orange and in 3/4 range doing that...of course..your results may vary,..lol.

iceman said:
All I can say is ...
I AM JEALOUS

That is 90 pounds of white oak he is talking about. How long will your Summit burn with a couple of 45 pound loads of oak?

Twenty hours, right?

webby3650 said:
Hogwildz said:
Enjoy the heat man.
I would like to say I get that, but I don't. If I load it full I can can get 24 hours of decent heat, if I put it on 1, it would burn that long, but no real heat coming off 3 splits. It was in the low 20's here last night, I woke up hot at 3a.m., 8 hrs deep into a load! It's a very impressive heat, no stove can compare to the burn time, I have no complaints. I have been burning a lot of Silver Maple, and in colder weather Oak,Walnut and other hardwoods, I can't tell a real big difference in burn times. Has anyone else experimented with softer wood in a King?

Thank God! A more reasonable review! Ha! Cheers!

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
All I can say is ...
I AM JEALOUS

That is 90 pounds of white oak he is talking about. How long will your Summit burn with a couple of 45 pound loads of oak?

Twenty hours, right?
What you are referring to is correct imo.
There are only so many btu's in a pound of wood.
Of course how you extract those btu's are key.
With cat stoves there is less draft going on because of lower temps..I would think less heat going up the flue..primary air way down.
If one stove holds twice the wood you only might have to do half as many start ups..start ups use more wood then cruising.

Ohlongarm:

I hear with a BK, your last load of Osage has to be early January, or the stove will still be throwing heat in May!

Will keep you posted,hopefully you're right my osage is 18 months old and showing 16% on a fresh split,never burned it in a cat or King,BUT it cracked both sides of my Quad 5700 last January and the beast was chitcanned.

Do you BK guys ever forget to reload on those long burns? I think I'd have to set an alarm to remind me. Lol

webby3650 said:
Has anyone else experimented with softer wood in a King?

I have no problem getting 24 hours out of softwood or junk with a full load if that is all the heat that is needed. If you need more heat, you either put better fuel in or get less burn time.

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
All I can say is ...
I AM JEALOUS

Twenty hours, right?
Damn..... Never thought of it that way. Seems like Im in the same boat when you do the math.

Todd said:
Do you BK guys ever forget to reload on those long burns? I think I'd have to set an alarm to remind me. Lol

Actually, yes...

Christmas eve, around 11:00 pm, I loaded it full with white oak...Christmas night it was still about 1/4 full of charred wood and cruising right along...now, I usually reload every night, but there was plenty of fuel left Christmas night to get me through to the next morning so I didn't reload...the following morning it was 71* in the house and I completely forgot about reloading since I usually load at night. It wasn't too cold...Christmas eve night it got down to about 30°F...Christmas day it got up to around 50°F...Christmas night it got down to about 25°F...there was no wind, and my wife did some cooking during Christmas day to add some heat to the house. After I remembered that I needed to reload, there were just a few small coals remaining...barely enough to get the next load started. I guess that was about 30 - 32 hours of useful heat on that one load.

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
All I can say is ...
I AM JEALOUS

Twenty hours, right?

Thanks for making me feel better! I bet if I had white oak I could get 2 full loads to go close to 24 now that I think about....
I would love a BK but the price for me isn't available now ... Guess I will have to load a couple times a day instead once a week...

Great job with the King! I saw one of those stoves, a Parlor version of the King and I didn't think it was a bad looking stove.

Good luck,
Bill

BrotherBart said:

Twenty hours, right?

The Summit is a 3 cubic foot stove,(I think) the BKK is 4.3 so two loads in a Summit would be 6 cubic feet worth of wood. Just sayin' ;-)

The difference is these stoves extract heat in a much more usable way imo. I just got home from the holidays to a 50* house, needless to say I'm burning with a 700* stove top and plenty of flames right now, it's also 18* outside. These stoves will give the heat when you need it but just maintaining a steady temp doesn't require a 700* stove until it gets really cold.

I'll jump on the bandwagon too here, I've been getting 14-18 hour burns on loose stuffed loads of cottonwood in my chinook with the tstat around 1-1.5 depending on how cold it is. Keeps it a toasty 72-74 inside.
Can definitely get 30+ hours from it, but I don't like spending 15 minutes playing tetris while my hands are being burned off just to avoid a reload every now and then. I load it up with about 25-30lbs of wood. Using all the uglies and too long/short pieces I have first while it's not super cold yet. Haven't hit the hardwood stacks yet.

Stove top sits at about 200 with fans on lowest... can't even tell the stove is burning when you look at the chimney outside... and the firebox is all dark.

Loco Gringo said:
BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
All I can say is ...
I AM JEALOUS

Twenty hours, right?
Damn..... Never thought of it that way. Seems like Im in the same boat when you do the math.
Ya, I thought the same thing, but after running the King, it's not really the same. The heat output is so different, very, very even heat. My other stoves would run up to temp. and start falling almost right away, compared to the king. I'm telling you, there's nothing like it. :coolsmile: Although I am likely to trade it out for the next great thing, since I work at a hearth store I get great deals and have access to all the equipment. I love my job!

Status
Not open for further replies.