Man am I startin to like the KING!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iceman said:
What are your stove top temps at say 14-24 hrs?
I know there isn't a sharp drop off with cats... But I see these crazy burn times but at what stove top temps?

Depends on the fuel and the burn rate. The fastest I can burn one load of 100+ pounds of the good stuff is 16 hours. When running at high burn, I usually back off on the quality of some of the fuel so I can stay on 12 hour cycles. This is wide open, blowers on high. That same load will burn 48 hours at low burn but I don't have enough of the good stuff to waste when I need that little heat.

I'm only looking at 12 hour burn cycles irregardlous of weather condition,that'll keep me more than satisfied.we're about to experience in the next few days blizzard conditions and zero wind chills. I'm bringing in osage orange,shagbark and black locust and praying the King can talk the talk and walk the walk,I'm chitanning all oak and beech for the approaching arctic front.

ohlongarm said:
I'm only looking at 12 hour burn cycles irregardlous of weather condition,that'll keep me more than satisfied.we're about to experience in the next few days blizzard conditions and zero wind chills. I'm bringing in osage orange,shagbark and black locust and praying the King can talk the talk and walk the walk,I'm chitanning all oak and beech for the approaching arctic front.
You must be doing half loads in the shoulder then?

I'm only striving for 12 hour burn cycles irregardlous of weather condition or time of year. We're about to get hit with an Arctic storm in a couple of days,whiteout conditions,50MPH winds and zero wind chills. I'm chitcanning all oak ,beech and cherry,and bringing in osage orange,shagbark,and black locust.I'm hoping the King can being fed on them walk the walk and talk the talk.

The King will git-er-done!

ohlongarm said:
I'm chitcanning all oak ,beech and cherry,and bringing in osage orange,shagbark,and black locust.I'm hoping the King can being fed on them walk the walk and talk the talk.

I can't burn a full load of locust in 12 hours burning wide open. If the combo of fuel you are talking about in the King doesn't get the job done, you need something more than a stove to keep your house warm.

SolarAndWood said:
iceman said:
What are your stove top temps at say 14-24 hrs?
I know there isn't a sharp drop off with cats... But I see these crazy burn times but at what stove top temps?

Depends on the fuel and the burn rate. The fastest I can burn one load of 100+ pounds of the good stuff is 16 hours. When running at high burn, I usually back off on the quality of some of the fuel so I can stay on 12 hour cycles. This is wide open, blowers on high. That same load will burn 48 hours at low burn but I don't have enough of the good stuff to waste when I need that little heat.

Whats your output heat on high 16hrs vs low48hrs

Osburning said:
Whats your output heat on high 16hrs vs low48hrs

There is a big difference between high and low burn. I always fully load the stove and never overheat the house, even in late September. The stove has a lot of surface area so surface temp makes a big difference. Then, the blowers effectively give you half again the burn rate on top of that. That kind of range combined with the tstat managing the burn cycle is what has sold me on it. Makes 24/7 burning relatively easy.

I have yet to notice a diff in burn time using my fans...either longer or shorter.
I must be missing something.

Did you guys know that any stove is way more efficient at transferring heat to the room when the room is really,really cold?
As room temps go up the transfer rate goes down..yep it does.

HotCoals said:
I have yet to notice a diff in burn time using my fans...either longer or shorter.

Load up the box and burn a full cycle on whatever high burn is for you. Then repeat at the same setting with the blowers full on. If you want to get scientific, make sure the weight of the loads is the same. However, the difference is big enough that this isn't required.

SolarAndWood said:
HotCoals said:

Load up the box and burn a full cycle on whatever high burn is for you. Then repeat at the same setting with the blowers full on. If you want to get scientific, make sure the weight of the loads is the same. However, the difference is big enough that this isn't required.
I shall try it when it gets cold again!
I'll get two piles ready for the experiment and make them as equal as possible.
It's beyond me though how the external blowers can change my combustion process by much..if any.
The colder a room is the more transferring of heat a stove will do..still even then the fire won't pick up because of room temp..this is all just my opinion..and if my wife knows what she is talking about ..my opinions are usually wrong. lol.

EDIT:..of course a bi-metal t-stat is effected by room temp...but that's a diff deal.

HotCoals said:

I think Solar burns on 3 or better when it's cold so the thermostat will actually get to work. If you can burn on low I don't think the fans make much difference.

rdust said:
HotCoals said:

I think Solar burns on 3 or better when it's cold so the thermostat will actually get to work. If you can burn on low I don't think the fans make much difference.
See,that's where the prob is..or the solution..not sure which..the t-stat.
But even then if he thinks he is burning more wood with the blowers on the room should be getting warmer which would close the t-stat some..save wood..unless you figure he is blowing to much hot air out of the room and the stove room cools which would open the t-stat and of course burn more wood.
The t-stat complicates the experiment.

HotCoals said:
rdust said:
HotCoals said:

But even then if he thinks he is burning more wood with the blowers on the room should be getting warmer which would close the t-stat some..save wood..unless you figure he is blowing to much hot air out of the room and the stove room cools which would open the t-stat and of course burn more wood.

If you burn in a range where the tstat is managing the fire, the blowers pull heat off the stove faster and the tstat increases the burn rate to compensate. My stove sits in a 1200 sq ft room with 60 ft of glass. When its cold and/or blowing, that stove is runnin.

HotCoals said:

The way I see it is the T-stat is working to maintain a certain stove output it doesn't care about the room temp. The room could be 100 and if you have the stove set on 3 it's going to stay open to maintain whatever btu output BK had in mind for that setting.

rdust said:
to maintain whatever btu output BK had in mind for that setting.

I don't think you can get that kind of control from a simple tstat like is in the BK, just simple temperature reaction. Which is why you get a higher burn rate at any given setting with the blowers on than off as the blowers cool the firebox. A quick experiment to show this is get the stove burning at high burn with the blowers on, then unplug the blowers. Watch what happens in the firebox. Also watch what happens to the thermometer. It will spike initially but come back to the same spot within around 45 seconds.

SolarAndWood said:
I don't think you can get that kind of control from a simple tstat like is in the BK, just simple temperature reaction. Which is why you get a higher burn rate at any given setting with the blowers on than off as the blowers cool the firebox. A quick experiment to show this is get the stove burning at high burn with the blowers on, then unplug the blowers. Watch what happens in the firebox. Also watch what happens to the thermometer. It will spike initially but come back to the same spot within around 45 seconds.

I agree, I may have been overstating it a bit. :) I think it does do a good job evening out the burn which is all I ask for.

rdust said:
I think it does do a good job evening out the burn which is all I ask for.

That is what it is all about. Having one stove that can burn that high or low reliably without an operator hand is pretty cool. Not sure I could burn 24/7/210 with our work schedules without it.

Ok, guys not to be an a@@ but does any of you guys have a stove thermometer on it?
I would like to hear some stove top numbers at 2hrs and 14hrs and 24 hrs...
I am thinking about the king but have to justify a new stove..

iceman said:
Ok, guys not to be an a@@ but does any of you guys have a stove thermometer on it?

I'd be more than happy to get you that for a Princess but it won't help you much comparing for a King. :lol: For a Princess on a higher burn rate I'd have to give you them a 2, 8 and 12 :) I should have cold enough weather Monday to be able to burn on a higher setting.

I find a thermometer isn't really required, I used to hit mine with my IR gun when I first got it but now I pay very little attention to it.

rdust said:
iceman said:

I'd be more than happy to get you that for a Princess but it won't help you much comparing for a King. :lol: For a Princess on a higher burn rate I'd have to give you them a 2, 8 and 12 :) I should have cold enough weather Monday to be able to burn on a higher setting.

I find a thermometer isn't really required, I used to hit mine with my IR gun when I first got it but now I pay very little attention to it.

That would be great!
If that stove can keep a500-600 stove top for say 12-16+, hrs that would be insane

The brochure does a good job of showing what the burn cycle looks like on pages 2 and 3 at the bottom. You can find it on the King page on their website. Also gives you some insight into how the tstat reacts to changing conditions in the firebox. I haven't measured temps on mine since a few weeks after I bought it either. It is extremely predictable.

I do understand the t-stat...it is mostly sensitive to the stove temp..not the room temp...and it does work.
How ever high you set it..that's eventually the position the flapper will close..or try to get there anyways.

It's just that in my little mind the blowers have no effect on burn times in a fire box without a t-stat..and very little with it..just my opinion.
You are not changing the combusted air if you don't have a temp sensitive t-stat by running fans...again..in my opinion.
Now if someone can show me a respected study or report saying they do..I'll say I'm wrong..lol.

Just leave the t-stat out of this..I'm talking blowers blowing across a stove with out a thermostat.

HotCoals said:
Just leave the t-stat out of this..I'm talking blowers blowing across a stove with out a thermostat.

Yep, the tstat adjusting the air is the only reason this makes a difference. Without it, the stove would simply run cooler if you did nothing other than turn the fans on.

Or are you saying that you can't get the steel to transfer more heat just by blowing air over it?

Status
Not open for further replies.