Man down scrounge!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Asplundh was doing tree work for our local (ptooh) utility. They took most of what they cut but I got 5 nice rounds of oak. Used the peavey to fish them out of the vines. Thought at first it was white but once I opened it looks like red.

Anyway have not been in the back for awhile due to the weather. So what do I see when I get back there...stack down. I suspect the squirrels, pretty sure I heard them laughing.

Attachments

• 3-7-14 c.jpeg
    3-7-14 c.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 245
  • 3-7-14 a.jpeg
    3-7-14 a.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 3-7-14 g.jpeg
    3-7-14 g.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 3-7-14 b.jpeg
    3-7-14 b.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 3-7-14 d.jpeg
    3-7-14 d.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 3-7-14 h.jpeg
    3-7-14 h.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: jaychino415
Also frost heave and maybe stacked too high.

Also frost heave and maybe stacked too high.

No it was the squirrels, dirty beggars.

Truth be told fill was recently added to that ground and leveled so its still soft. Probably settled/heaved.

images.jpg

Reactions: farmboy05
I'll come get those unbalanced splits so they can't be knocked down again!! We'll show those squirrels who's boss.

I had one 16 ft. stack go down. Frozen heaving got it leaning, and a deer jumping over it and back legs hitting it did it in.
It fell like a stone wall.

Got out there and re-stacked the row that went down. Then stacked the oak I got from that little score. Fifty degrees out there today. Feels good but ground is mushy. Hopefully every thing stays upright.

Maybe next time you could dig a 6" trench as wide as the stacks and line it with gravel and cinderblocks to help stabilize it before you stack wood on it? I don't know if it would work, but it's a thought. Then each time a stack of firewood is used up, you could "fix' it's spot before reloading it and eventually you'd have a lot of beds for wood.

Maybe next time you could dig a 6" trench as wide as the stacks and line it with gravel and cinderblocks to help stabilize it before you stack wood on it? I don't know if it would work, but it's a thought. Then each time a stack of firewood is used up, you could "fix' it's spot before reloading it and eventually you'd have a lot of beds for wood.
Yeah I'm sure there's lot's of things I could do but on the other hand it took me 20 min to re-stack. Sometimes as the wood dries it shifts and stacks fall. So as they say, "shift happens".

Status
Not open for further replies.