Man I love my Dolmar!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
So uh ya, after seeing my 510 in action my father decides to upgrade his Stihl 024AV and went with a new MS270.....
I tried to convince him to go with a Dolmar (either 510 or 5100) but he is a die-hard Stihl guy. I go down to his house yesterday and check it out and man am I glad I went with a Dolmar (against him trying to convince me otherwise to no end!).
No offense to anyone here that owns one but all that thing does is bog....and bog.....and bog.....the logs were only 16-18".
I know its a "smaller" size saw, but I guess I was just expecting a lot more. I've done a few searches on you tube to watch it and 90% of them have the saw bogging away.
He's happy with it as its a good step up from the 024. I guess im just trying to see if this sounds right for this saw, it has an 18" bar on it so maybe he should get the 16".
Im thinking the MS260 would be better, Any input would be appreciated.

mikepinto65 said:
So uh ya, after seeing my 510 in action my father decides to upgrade his Stihl 024AV and went with a new MS270.....
I tried to convince him to go with a Dolmar (either 510 or 5100) but he is a die-hard Stihl guy. I go down to his house yesterday and check it out and man am I glad I went with a Dolmar (against him trying to convince me otherwise to no end!).
No offense to anyone here that owns one but all that thing does is bog....and bog.....and bog.....the logs were only 16-18".
I know its a "smaller" size saw, but I guess I was just expecting a lot more. I've done a few searches on you tube to watch it and 90% of them have the saw bogging away.
He's happy with it as its a good step up from the 024. I guess im just trying to see if this sounds right for this saw, it has an 18" bar on it so maybe he should get the 16".

Ummmm. . . awesome?

and by that you mean?

The MS260 is a pro saw and costs a whole lot more money. If you're going to upgrade in the stihl line then go bigger, the next bigger saw series is the 290/310/390 with more cajones to run a bigger bar. Or skip that program and get a pro saw but get the next larger (than the 270) pro saw which is the MS361. People seem to love that saw, even more than the 5100!! But wait, for the money of the 361 you could get into the big dolmar line of the 6400/7300/7900 and then you should have no problem spinning an 18" bar.

I love spending other people's money. When your dad gets rid of the safety chain he'll like the 270 more than he already does.

Highbeam said:
The MS260 is a pro saw and costs a whole lot more money. If you're going to upgrade in the stihl line then go bigger, the next bigger saw series is the 290/310/390 with more cajones to run a bigger bar. Or skip that program and get a pro saw but get the next larger (than the 270) pro saw which is the MS361. People seem to love that saw, even more than the 5100!! But wait, for the money of the 361 you could get into the big dolmar line of the 6400/7300/7900 and then you should have no problem spinning an 18" bar.

I love spending other people's money. When your dad gets rid of the safety chain he'll like the 270 more than he already does.

wasn't aware of the safety chain nor do I think he is. What exactly is the purpose of it?

Just dove into the Stihl chain thread, thanks.....

Highbeam,
Most don't really need a pro saw (read my sig, I'm not one of them). I can say that not only are they lighter for the same power or more, but stuff on them are much easier to get to (didn't realize this until recently).
My tank breather was full on the 361. Thinking this was going to be a PIA to get fixed. Simple one flap, pry out old one, put new one in and run it. Pro's need saws that last, but if foul, get fixed very easy.
I'll take the up cost for everything on pro saws. If you like the Dolmar, check out the Solo, about the same saw, 2 year warranty.
Chad

mikepinto65 said:

I have a 270 and LOVE it. I am still running the safety chain (have a chisel on the way) and this thing cuts and cuts. I dont have any problem spinning the chain. Even when I get in a pinch this thing can keep the revs up. My .02.

08brute said:
mikepinto65 said:

I have a 270 and LOVE it. I am still running the safety chain (have a chisel on the way) and this thing cuts and cuts. I dont have any problem spinning the chain. Even when I get in a pinch this thing can keep the revs up. My .02.

He ended up switching to the chisel chain, world of difference, glad yours works well with the safety chain.....just wasnt cutting it, imho

Picked up a 270 last fall. Put the chisel chain on it also. Dont have the power my old 026 had, but it
cut nice for what I need. Going to try out a friends 5100 next week. Gotta have a backup saw... :)

I have a Stihl MS270 and love it. It doesn't bog down unless the chain is getting dull and I cut through mostly red oak!

Yo,
I can only imagine what some of the bigger saws are like since my l'il MS250 eats through whatever I throw at it--this weekend, someone posted an oak on Craigslist, 20" and, other than having to go around a bit (16" bar), the saw never bogged once. Got the ole RSC chain on it, which made a big difference!

S

I've used my neighbor's Huskys and Stihls and they are nice saws. But they just don't cut as smooth as my Dolmar 5100. By smooth I mean comfort and cutting power together. Probably can't go wrong with any of them, but I love my German saw.

I got a Stihl 390 and it has an extra horsepower over the 290 (I think it is around 65 cc and only about $100 more)and has the compression relief button to make starting easy. It supposedly has some of the pro features at much less cost(similiar to the 360). I got a 20 inch bar, it can handle larger but I think the 20 will handle most of what I need. I cut a 3 foot diameter oak with ease, even with the safety chain. I even cut a 40 inch cherry that I had to split on the spot because the rounds were to big to move. As they say it cut like butter. I highly recommend it. I wouldn't mind trying a Dolmar but not many dealers around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.