Man, I need a splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Got this Ash that I started to cut into 14" lengths. So I cut up one BIG log and TRY to split it with my maul.

YEAH RIGHT! My maul just bounced off it like nothing! I need a splitter but they are SO expensive. I was really excited to get it split and stacked. But after that and with the 92 degree sticky mess today, I quickly gave up!!!

Split slabs off of the outside edges and work your way into it. Take'em off all around it and it will be a piece of cake.

I split alot by hand, alot! I love to split by hand still! I finally broke down and bought a splitter, and I am glad I did, and so is my back! I still split some round every now and then though! In the last ten years I have seen one splitter for sale/ used that is! If you burn alot, and plan on for awhile it is a wise investment! If you decide to stop burning wood one day, and sell the splitter, I am sure you will have no probluem doing it!

if you have a few extra bucks the ryobi electric from home depot does the job albeit bit slow last year that's all i used and did maybe 4 cord

i am now using neighbor lady's old gas splitter and all i can say is WOW..

Just about any wood will split if you do what BrotherBart suggested. And don't think of buying a splitter ...think of investing in one. They last forever besides burning 24/7 with wood up in NH you're saving at least 3k a season...so do the math and you may have one owed to you already.

For wiscosnin the gas bill a few years ago was running 150 a month...I figured 120.00 was heat. 6months ave for 720 and the splitter was 1k on an awesome sale right before natural gas (all fuel) went nuts. Since purchase I am really happy to split at my liesure instead of trying to do it by hand or rent one for a weekend at 150.00 for me. I could sell it for 800 now so how much am I really out? I have owned it for 4 years already!!! I hate spending on foolish stuff, a splitter is well worth the money!

Aim at the cracks. Sharpen your maul. Take slabs off the sides.

A lot of folks think they're bludgeoning through logs and that the maul doesn't have to be sharp- sharpen it well and you will be amazed at how much difference it makes. I hone my axes while watching TV (don't get in front of the TV while I'm sharpening axes) :) I love sharpening axes though. For Mauls- take out all the dings with a coarse file, put a wire edge on it and leave it.

Adios Pantalones said:
Aim at the cracks. Sharpen your maul. Take slabs off the sides.

A lot of folks think they're bludgeoning through logs and that the maul doesn't have to be sharp- sharpen it well and you will be amazed at how much difference it makes. I hone my axes while watching TV (don't get in front of the TV while I'm sharpening axes) :) I love sharpening axes though. For Mauls- take out all the dings with a coarse file, put a wire edge on it and leave it.

You must spend the better part of your life sharpening those mauls. :)

Mine has never been sharpened in 30 years and it works fine. It's in the swing speed that counts. Usually when I split the maul goes through the wood and wedges into the dirt for the finale. No way could I keep an edge on it. My jack knife has a razor edge but it doesn't get slammed into the dirt constantly.

Well, I'm neither skinny nor a kid...I do a lot of hand splitting (softwoods, Fiskars tools), but when I've had enough of that, or have a bunch of larch to split, or big rounds, I rely on hydraulics to do the bulk of the work for me. Rick (non-skinny oldguy)

Carl's an animal. When he can't find his maul, he just goes out and splits with his sledge. :cheese: Rick

I have about three cords to split Im ready for this coming year with split ash oak 5+cords and about 4 cords of pine. So what im going to do is keep getting stuff that already bucked to size and when I have at least 6+cords that needs spliting Ill rent or borrow someones but right now there no need for me to split with the fiskar. Way to hot at least for now
For the guys that are still burning----------- IT TIME TO COME DOWN FROM THE MOUNTIAN======= take a vaction

yeah a file used to clean up the edge of a splitting maul is well worth the few minutes it takes to do it. Back in the day I split all our wood by hand...even elm. I'd get a bite with my maul and have to bash the maul with the sledge 3 or 4 time with the sledge to finish...but I needed a clean edge to get that bite or the maul would just bounce back like skinny's did.

But that was then and this is now...the only time I use a maul is in the winter when we all know splitting is easier. Still if you hand file the burrs off...you'll notice the difference.

Oh yeah and buy yourself a splitter...it's an investment.

skinnykid said:
YEAH RIGHT! My maul just bounced off it like nothing! I need a splitter but they are SO expensive. I was really excited to get it split and stacked.

1. Cooler weather is coming or split in the morning.

2. Rent a splitter on a cool day from a rental place.

3.Get a sledge hammer and some wedges. "maul just bounced " is the main reason I get out the hammer and wedges. 3-4 wedges is minimum I have collected 8 or 9 from garage sales. It is easy to bury one , two or three wedges into a round so before one is all the way down start another in the crack line then before the second is buried start a third right next to the first between the flat steel edge and the wood , two wedges act as one huge steel wedge when driven together.

When wedges start bouncing out I let the round dry or place the wedge tip into a maul hit grove or get out the saw to start a grove or rip the ###### in half.

DriftWood said:
...one huge steel wedge...

That's what I use. And I use a hydraulic ram to coax it into the wood. Much less violent. Even an old guy can do it. :cheese: Rick

My wife sometimes calls me an animal. Does that count? :)

After 30 years of hand splitting I have moved up and probably won't use my ole trusty maul very much now. It served me well though, even if dull. For me it wasn't worth sharpening for the rough dirt it always seemed to hit. If a maul was and could stay sharp it would help a little with splitting. Its effect isn't on the sharpness but on its spreading the wood because of its thickness. No axe I have is designed like that, having a thin profile all the way. The maul splits due to it forcing the wood apart with its quick thin to thick design. The sharpened end is only for looks. :cheese:

Posted these before but here is what I use.

Purchased this 27 ton splitter this spring and won't look back. :coolsmile:
269542659_jRvRU-O.jpg

and my trailer: My truck is rated to pull 5600 lbs so it is fine and the trailer has surge brakes on it which I love. They are activated by the tongue pressure and even in winter I have had no problems with them.
277750066_KEm2L-M.jpg

I am lucky to have this equipment and it gets used more than for hauling wood. Others aren't so lucky and have to make do which I did for years.

Be careful with whatever you have for hauling and splitting wood with. This thread is an eye opener for some of the things to look out for. All good advise to be thought about, then you have to make your own decision if it is worth it or not.

Off topic but here is my ride!.....and yes Rick, those are pines in the background.
116516184_6kZws-M.jpg

Carl said:

Counts for everything!

Carl said:
Off topic but here is my ride!.....and yes Rick, those are pines in the background.

Ah, my favorite trees! Who's that guy with the bike, Carl...is that your kid? :wow: Rick

fossil said:
Carl said:

Counts for everything!

Carl said:

Ah, my favorite trees! Who's that guy with the bike, Carl...is that your kid? :wow: Rick

Never saw that biker before Rick, only in a mirror.

I have plenty of hardwood but pines are nice too. I burn it in the firepit all the time, it makes good kindling, and it even burns well in the house stove. A good all around wood.

Adios Pantalones said:
I need a trailer like that!

Yeah, Carl's trailer's a beaut! I have a smaller (5' x 10'), but it's a hydraulic dump, which I really appreciate sometimes, and it's tandem axle, rated at 7000#, which is more than my tow vehicle's rated to pull. Guess I need a new truck. :cheese: Rick

Well if you don't want to spend the money on a splitter buy a sledge hammer and 3 wedges you'll spend about $50. Thats if you don't mind swinging the hammer. I now have 3 cords and most of it was split by hammer and wedges. I think it easier than the maul.

Status
Not open for further replies.