Man power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DTrain

Feeling the Heat
Nov 7, 2012
Stow, MA
Anyone else out there using a cross cut to process? I have a 1930's craftsman 4' one man. Perf lance tooth. Does a nice job. Is real fun to use. Just got a 5' two man from my grandfather. Says its a Disston, it needs cleaning.

Wanted to hear about other folks's gear, sawbuck, and process. And sharpening!

Did too much of that many moons ago and don't care to repeat it.

Did some of that + splitting 8-10' White Oak for fencing in my early-mid 20's.Those days are over.I still split all of my firewood manually though.Kept all my 1 & 2 man crosscuts,bucksaw,broad axes/hatchets,large chisels,several drawknives,brace/bits,large auger bits etc. as part of the tool collection also.Larger stuff hanging on the wall,smaller in tool chests & they get used occasionally.

Holy cow! My idea of "Man Power" is hand splitting, which I wore myself out at this afternoon. But "HAND SAWING":eek: I know you're not kidding but, YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING! I'm impressed. I used to have a nice two person job, don't remember the brand, but I gave it to one of my sisters years ago and its hanging on the wall in her den, all painted up in an outdoorsy scene.

As far as sharpening goes, I used to leave that to an old timer that lived down the road. He had a "jig" type of vise he used and some special tools to set teeth right. I would have him sharpen all my circular and straight saws for me. He's dead now. Try this reference, its looks pretty detailed with some good references at the bottom. Good luck with having your fun!

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

Still sharpen all my hand,tenon,dovetail etc saws in a massive 128 yr old Sargent ball & socket saw vise.Learned from a couple "old school" teachers in Junior/Senior High.Wish I had shown an interest a few years earlier though,paternal grandfather was an excellent craftsman,but he died when I was not quite 9yrs old.

And as you can see,it has more 'modern' uses also - opens just wide enough to clamp securely on a chain saw bar when doing routine maintenance & cleaning.>>

Attachments

• sargentsawvise with 36in bar.JPG
    sargentsawvise with 36in bar.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 139
Holy cow! My idea of "Man Power" is hand splitting, which I wore myself out at this afternoon. But "HAND SAWING":eek: I know you're not kidding but, YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING! I'm impressed. I used to have a nice two person job, don't remember the brand, but I gave it to one of my sisters years ago and its hanging on the wall in her den, all painted up in an outdoorsy scene.

As far as sharpening goes, I used to leave that to an old timer that lived down the road. He had a "jig" type of vise he used and some special tools to set teeth right. I would have him sharpen all my circular and straight saws for me. He's dead now. Try this reference, its looks pretty detailed with some good references at the bottom. Good luck with having your fun!

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

Oh, I'm not sure it's any thing to be impressed by. Its not quick, but I prefer the sound of that saw to a chainsaw. I only have a 16" electric craftsman. It does ok when I decide to get it out. For the most part I like the work. It feels good. I need to invest in proper sharpening tools. The forestry department has great booklets on sharpening to follow. But it looks like quite a process. I need to find an old timer! I just have a file. So far I've only done a face cord of 18" long rounds with it. I have that much more to do in the driveway. And will hopefully buck 2 more cords by new year. Then get the maul out and spend January splitting. Did I mention I'm a stay at home dad. If I had to leave my house I think bucking by hand would have to go.

Brother and I did about 75-80 feet of post and rail cedar fence when we were teens.
Chopped the cedars down with an axe, hefted them out of the woods on our shoulders, cut posts and rail to length with a two man saw, Dad chiseled the holes and rail ends.
We dug the holes and propped the posts up in buckets of smelly, stinky creosote over-nite.
Cut some firewood wth that two man, too.
Sure glad when we got an electric chain saw.

Reactions: DTrain
My neighbor had a big pine taken down. I asked him to have the guys take it to 8ft logs. I rolled them with a peavey about 60 yards each into my yard. I split two in half lengthwise with wedges. That was tough. They were about 18" diameter. I took the halfs and adzed them down and planed the faces to make a back yard bench. I really like working with that stuff.

My neighbor had a big pine taken down. I asked him to have the guys take it to 8ft logs. I rolled them with a peavey about 60 yards each into my yard. I split two in half lengthwise with wedges. That was tough. They were about 18" diameter. I took the halfs and adzed them down and planed the faces to make a back yard bench. I really like working with that stuff.
Cousin In-Law hacked out some pretty nice log furniture with a chainsaw. Noodled himself a couple 4 ft benches, a chair, and a couple end tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.