Man powered saw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItNatural

Aug 25, 2009
Western Conn
I'm in the market for a new saw, and I'd like to move away from a gas powered chain saw.

Are there any suggestions for good saws that can either be utilized by one man, and another two-person saw?

rsgBJJfighter said:
I'm in the market for a new saw, and I'd like to move away from a gas powered chain saw.

Are there any suggestions for good saws that can either be utilized by one man, and another two-person saw?

I work for a company that you could use "chainsaw" (and no climbing) we use 3in. lopers and all differnt size's ofbow saw's and pull pruner's name brand we used was corna Iam pretty sure

smokinj, might that be Corona? ( www.coronaclipper.com ) I have a few of there tools. They are well made. I don't know if they make any saws or not.

Steve

YZF1R said:
smokinj, might that be Corona? ( www.coronaclipper.com ) I have a few of there tools. They are well made. I don't know if they make any saws or not.

Steve
yes sir cant spell even with spell check

rsgBJJfighter said:

If you don't mind, why the move away from gas chain saws? I picked up a electric chain saw that I was surprised at how well it worked.

A Swede saw cuts the narrowest kerf and so will take the least effort and waste the least as sawdust. It also doesn't take two people to operate.

Alberta Burner said:
rsgBJJfighter said:

If you don't mind, why the move away from gas chain saws? I picked up a electric chain saw that I was surprised at how well it worked.

it was all about the "insurance" we could work off latter no climbing at all and no chainsaws ........ you would be very suprise how much you can do without a chainsaw but we couldnt do anything over 30 ft tall

My reasoning is kind of a personal one. Can I get away from using any sort of gas for cutting wood? AND, chainsaw accidents aren't particularly rare, and since I work alone most of the time, I just feel kind of uneasy using them.
When I recently did a bunch of work cutting and splitting, my parents and girlfriend made me move my work area to within sight of the house and had me have a buddy come over to work with me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the concern, and I understand the safety issue of having a friend around- not to mention the benefit of his help. I just like to do some of this stuff alone for the most part. Its not exactly meditation or anything, but sometimes its nice to go out behind the shed every so often and work away for a couple hours.
There's other less significant reasons, we only burn about a cord a year, so the need for cutting a whole lot of wood isn't really strong enough for me to need to run a chainsaw. We HAVE one, but i'm not a fan of using it.

rsgBJJfighter said:

Electric chain saw.

IMHO electrics are potentially more dangerous than gas saws in some ways, but that's a separate debate. I think the OP is more into human powered saws. I forget the brand, but there seemed to be one brand that was overwhelmingly preferred by the climber types over on Arboristsite - might be worth taking a look there...

Gooserider

I hate electrics.

Swede saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.