Man this heat , No rain in sight for several more days. . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_N_ice

Aug 27, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
In my area of Nj they just posted a water restriction. I went to the local water Shed today , had not been there in a month, and it is down at least 12 to 18 inches since. My area has seen no activity with rain in about 6 weeks.My grass is wirey and with the weather perdiction of the next 4 days at 95F+ and maybe some rain late in the 10 day forecast, should I be watering my wood pile? My pile gets 8-10+ hours right now of direct sunlight. I was thinking with all that heat will it make our wood too dry for the winter? In april, the hardwoods I have were @20%.

Another note: Last week I saw 1/4 mature acorns dropping.

I'm not far from you in the Lower Hudson Valley. I think this weather could season Red Oak splits in about a week! Holy crap is it hot and dry! Gonna be 100 °F later in the week. My grass was brown last week. The lawn will probably be sand by next week.
Although it was about the best 4th of July weather I can remember in my lifetime. At least it cooled down over night

Man I would swap with you guys in a heart beat . Still cant cut the whole lawn water still standing from the 5.5 inches of rain we had about 2 weeks ago , raining again tody and it sounds like on and off again showers the next 2 days . You cant go out side even in the middle of a sunny day the mosquitos are so bad unless you are all doped up with deet . This isnt so good for me I am hopeing to be in the swamp cutting labor day weekend and right now its got about 2 feet of water in it .

webie,
That's what it was like here last summer. Rain almost every day. And every weekend. Funny how things go around.

102 here today in South Central PA, but what is very unusual only 29% humidity. Typically around here when we get the heat waves it is usually humid too. At 7:15 its 97 degrees.

As I said in another post I have been moving and consolidating my wood piles so I'm pleased with the weather. I had some piles in a few places given my small lot; so now what was on the bottom of the skid from last year is not exposed to this good drying weather :)

I hardly did anything this weekend. I was up at the lake. If I had stayed down in the 'burbs I would have been re introducing myself to my nice cool basement.

Matt

n3pro said:
As I said in another post I have been moving and consolidating my wood piles so I'm pleased with the weather. I had some piles in a few places given my small lot; so now what was on the bottom of the skid from last year is not exposed to this good drying weather :)

doing the same thing and the splits were actually hot to the touch

Still "real feels" at 90 degrees here. I stacked for an hour and want a shower. Good thing I guess is next year's firewood will be real dry if this summer stays hot without any rain coming. If this year's wood runs out next years just might be ready.

Matt

We're stuck in pretty much the same pattern: lower to mid 90s and no rain due to a high pressure system that's settled over the area. Last year we barely got out of the 80s a few times, and it rained constantly. Clearly this is the fault of the Farmer's Almanac. Jokes aside, I do hope we eventually get a little rain. However, it's been a helluva wood seasoning summer thus far. I can walk past the shed and smell that stuff baking!

It's dry here in CT...and in VT. The splits are drying really nicely in VT though; lots of checking. The lawns aren't looking that great, but the firewood is. Guess you can't have it all!

This heat is brutal, and the humidity is expected to hit tomorrow :-( But like everyone says, my wood is gonna be great this winter as it is baking in the sun all day :)

It's pretty hot here too, not 100 but around 93 today. I grabbed a split off the stack and split it to check the moisture and it was almost hot on the inside.

Man this rain, No hope in sight for several more days. . .

My father finally wanted his air conditioner in so I went over and put it in the window plugged it in turned it on and set it at 65 then the power went out on the lower end of the street. They finally got the power back on one hour later. (98 degrees)

Zap

103 in New York City today. It is 88 just before midnight. I think my lawn is clinically dead at this point. The thermometer on my deck said 106 this afternoon.

A friend in Westhampton had 108 °F on her back deck at 4:30 PM yesterday.

With all the heat I decided to check my stacks agian.

The cord of crabapple that I cut and stacked in November is already around 18% ! :)

But the cord of "seasoned" oak I bought at the same time is still at 30% :(

Hoping 4 more months gets that oak down to at least 25 so I can mix it in with the dry stuff and burn....

I must be absolutely nuts. We are about four years ahead on our wood gathering and I have two cords of Red Oak that still need to be split. So, for the last week, I have been out splitting in the evening after supper. It's been 100 during the days but cools off to 93 in the evenings. When it's hot outside, I don't wear clothing . My wood pile is in the woods on our private land so no one is around. I split with a sledge and maul and after about a hour I'm tired and have sweat like a pig. Got about three more days of splitting left. I enjoy being nude out in the woods and it's super exercise, and good for your health. Besides, the wood don't care if you're dressed or not. David

When it’s hot outside, I don’t wear clothing .
I enjoy being nude out in the woods and it’s super exercise, and good for your health. Besides, the wood don’t care if you’re dressed or not. David

WAY, WAY to much information!!!!

KC

I can just imagine a hiker lost in the woods. He sees a house in the distance. "Hopefully I'll be able to use their phone," he says to himself. Our poor hiker emerges from the brush on the far end of Captain Hornet's woodpile. As he rounds the corner, there stands our good Captain - naked, sweating like a pig and holding a sharp ax.

And there goes the poor hiker, running at an incredible rate back into the forest.

[quote author="Captain Hornet" date="1278634091"]I must be absolutely nuts. We are about four years ahead on our wood gathering and I have two cords of Red Oak that still need to be split. So, for the last week, I have been out splitting in the evening after supper. It's been 100 during the days but cools off to 93 in the evenings. When it's hot outside, I don't wear clothing . My wood pile is in the woods on our private land so no one is around. I split with a sledge and maul and after about a hour I'm tired and have sweat like a pig. Got about three more days of splitting left. I enjoy being nude out in the woods and it's super exercise, and good for your health. Besides, the wood don't care if you're dressed or not. David[/quote

Watch out for posin ivy.

Status
Not open for further replies.