Man this heat , No rain in sight for several more days. . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We returned from our trip yesterday and it was 95 when we got home. It had not rained since around the 10th of the month or thereabouts. I was sad to see our veggies and fruits in such sad shape so set about getting things around to haul water. Fortunately around noon up come a very nice rain. Not sure how much yet but what we got was appreciated. I'll still have to haul water though but it is supposed to be better weather the next couple of days.

The states of Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas is where the water is. We saw lots and lots of big flooding problems and whole fields of corn wiped out. We also drove through some big storms and were amazed how much water can fall in an hour. Nasty weather.

GunSeth said:
I can just imagine a hiker lost in the woods. He sees a house in the distance. "Hopefully I'll be able to use their phone," he says to himself. Our poor hiker emerges from the brush on the far end of Captain Hornet's woodpile. As he rounds the corner, there stands our good Captain - naked, sweating like a pig and holding a sharp ax. Cue the Deliverance banjo music.

And there goes the poor hiker, running at an incredible rate back into the forest.

I fixed your quote. ;) :)

Captain Hornet said:
I must be absolutely nuts. We are about four years ahead on our wood gathering and I have two cords of Red Oak that still need to be split. So, for the last week, I have been out splitting in the evening after supper. It's been 100 during the days but cools off to 93 in the evenings. When it's hot outside, I don't wear clothing . My wood pile is in the woods on our private land so no one is around. I split with a sledge and maul and after about a hour I'm tired and have sweat like a pig. Got about three more days of splitting left. I enjoy being nude out in the woods and it's super exercise, and good for your health. Besides, the wood don't care if you're dressed or not. David

Well I poked some fun at you Captain Hornet, but I must admit . . . the past few mornings I have woken up early (around 4:30 a.m.) and gone out before the heat has really set in to stack some wood in my shed . . . wearing nothing more than a T-shirt, boxer shorts and sandals . . . like you I live in the country and while I have neighbors they're still asleep at that point and not likely to see me . . .

Backwoods Savage said:
We returned from our trip yesterday and it was 95 when we got home. It had not rained since around the 10th of the month or thereabouts. I was sad to see our veggies and fruits in such sad shape so set about getting things around to haul water. Fortunately around noon up come a very nice rain. Not sure how much yet but what we got was appreciated. I'll still have to haul water though but it is supposed to be better weather the next couple of days.

The states of Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas is where the water is. We saw lots and lots of big flooding problems and whole fields of corn wiped out. We also drove through some big storms and were amazed how much water can fall in an hour. Nasty weather.

Welcome back Dennis . . . I was wondering how you were doing and when you would be back . . . in fact I was talking about you with my wife the other day . . . can't exactly remember the context . . . but I was thinking of you and was wondering how the trip was going.

Hmmm . . . corn fields wiped out, huh? Do you suppose this will mean the cost of the ethanol-gas will go up? ;)

rm2357paddle-faster-i-hear-banjos-posters1-300x219.jpg

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Welcome back Dennis . . . I was wondering how you were doing and when you would be back . . . in fact I was talking about you with my wife the other day . . . can't exactly remember the context . . . but I was thinking of you and was wondering how the trip was going.

Hmmm . . . corn fields wiped out, huh? Do you suppose this will mean the cost of the ethanol-gas will go up? ;)

So, you were talking about me huh. Was it nice or nasty?

The price of corn isn't raising just yet.

Backwoods Savage said:
firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

So, you were talking about me huh. Was it nice or nasty?

The price of corn isn't raising just yet.

Always nice Dennis . . . I think I was telling her about some of the great people I've "met" here . . . even though some of them are delusional in their thinking that splitting wood horizontally with their wood splitter is the best and only way to split wood. ;) :)

We've had about a month's worth of rain in the last 24 hours or so. Finally! The grass looks greener already.

Status
Not open for further replies.