Man vs. Log. A true story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
I was out in the forest outside my house scrounging for some seasoned firewood. I came a cross a dead tree on the ground. I don't know what kind it was, but it was dense and hard. i revved up my chain saw, cut it up and dragged it home.

So there I was, as always, splitting wood with my Fiskar's Pro Splitter (you got to get one of these). I split a few logs and my axe got lodged in a round. I reach with my left hand to brace the wood while I pulled out my axe. As I pulled out the axe the partially split wood closed and pinched about an inch of skin on my palm. I tried to pull my hand out, but couldn't. The log clamped shut. I tried to rip my hand from the log - and couldn't. As strange as that seems, it's true. Believe me, I wanted out of that log, but it grabbed my skin so tight i couldn't rip my hand out. The log compressed back to it's tight state with my skin inside.

I'm in pain and my hand began throbbing. I take the axe with my right hand and try to hit it where it was split to re-open the log. That didn't work and I nearly took off my thumb. Hmm. not a good idea.

I'm home alone, no one around for miles. . . and I got a log hanging from my hand that won't let go. I thought of the guy that got his hand stuck under a boulder and was there for days before he cut his own hand off to escape, but of course my situation was not that dire.

I went inside and got my small axe and one handedly nudged it into the split of the log. Then, I took my hammer and banged it in another inch or so. Free. Free. I'm free at last.

I went back outside and finished splitting, then took some in the house with me. Boy, does that pink wood burn good.

Whenever a piece of firewood leaps up and hurts me I find great joy in the revenge of burning it to death.

Where's the pic!

As kids my neighbor got himself in the shin with the axe when he missed. Of course as an adult a forklift squished his foot so he is not having a lot of luck with that leg :)

Ja, I've had a split close back up on me trapping my fingers but in my case I was using the hydraulic splitter so it was just a matter of pushing the wedge back in to the reopen the crack. One of those DOH moments for sure.

A split second longer and you would have lost the ability to pick your nose! I have had rounds kick off the splitter and my shins get beat up pretty good...

I've had a split bounce back at me when I threw it in a stack. I had no feeling in my pinky for about six months.

My shins are nothing to look at with all the scars I got - they take a good beating from splits hitting me while I'm splitting wood.

And I hit a split the other day and the plastic axe handle smashed on the wood - axe head never made contact. that vibration rung through my hand like when I was a kid playing little league and hitting a hardball on a cold day.

woodjack, I'm glad it turned out okay in the end. No doubt that hurt like the dickens and you will probably have proof of it with a terrible looking hand for a while. Caulk it up to another lesson learned.

i could start another thread on how many burn scars I got from my old top loader smoke dragon.

Highbeam said:
Where's the pic!

Now that is quite a request! I can just see it now....Running to the house - looking for a camera - posing and then trying to get the dang log off - or should the picture be posted here before the log removal. :lol:

Me, I just like the stories. My mind creates a great picture on it's own.

My 15 year old daughter was out splitting with our splitter today. No shoes on. No eye protection. :ahhh: How many times have I told her safety first? Just another opportunity for me to share some of the stories I have read here. She skedaddled in and got shoes and glasses....but I know I will have to tell her again in the future so keep the stories coming. I am putting them to good use. ;-)

perplexed said:
I can just see it now....Running to the house - looking for a camera - posing and then trying to get the dang log off - or should the picture be posted here before the log removal. :lol:
What, doesn't everyone carry a cellphone with built-in camera these days?

Same thing happened to me with 2 or 3 fingers on my left hand. I reached in to pull the split apart and WHAM!!!!! My fingers weren't stuck that long (10 to 12 Sec) but it was long enough.

perplexed said:
My 15 year old daughter was out splitting with our splitter today. No shoes on. No eye protection. :ahhh: How many times have I told her safety first? Just another opportunity for me to share some of the stories I have read here. She skedaddled in and got shoes and glasses....but I know I will have to tell her again in the future so keep the stories coming. I am putting them to good use. ;-)

15 year old, daughter, splitting wood?? Wow! If my 17 y.o. son was splitting barefoot I wouldn't let him go inside for shoes, in fact I wouldn't do anything to stop him because I know I would never see him do it again. I might have him checked out by a doctor when he finished to find out of he was sick or something.

woodjack said:
I was out in the forest outside my house scrounging for some seasoned firewood. I came a cross a dead tree on the ground. I don't know what kind it was, but it was dense and hard. i revved up my chain saw, cut it up and dragged it home.

So there I was, as always, splitting wood with my Fiskar's Pro Splitter (you got to get one of these). I split a few logs and my axe got lodged in a round. I reach with my left hand to brace the wood while I pulled out my axe. As I pulled out the axe the partially split wood closed and pinched about an inch of skin on my palm. I tried to pull my hand out, but couldn't. The log clamped shut. I tried to rip my hand from the log - and couldn't. As strange as that seems, it's true. Believe me, I wanted out of that log, but it grabbed my skin so tight i couldn't rip my hand out. The log compressed back to it's tight state with my skin inside.

I'm in pain and my hand began throbbing. I take the axe with my right hand and try to hit it where it was split to re-open the log. That didn't work and I nearly took off my thumb. Hmm. not a good idea.

I'm home alone, no one around for miles. . . and I got a log hanging from my hand that won't let go. I thought of the guy that got his hand stuck under a boulder and was there for days before he cut his own hand off to escape, but of course my situation was not that dire.

I went inside and got my small axe and one handedly nudged it into the split of the log. Then, I took my hammer and banged it in another inch or so. Free. Free. I'm free at last.

I went back outside and finished splitting, then took some in the house with me. Boy, does that pink wood burn good.

You mean Aron Ralston... Now you'll have to write a book and become a motivational speaker!!! Oh wait, you have to cut your hand off first.. :)

Jay

And of course they'll be a one hour tv special.

LLigetfa said:
perplexed said:
I can just see it now....Running to the house - looking for a camera - posing and then trying to get the dang log off - or should the picture be posted here before the log removal. :lol:
What, doesn't everyone carry a cellphone with built-in camera these days?

I know for safeties sake I try to always have my phone attached to me some how as I often cut alone. My wife always knows where I am at so at least they can identify the body location.

Status
Not open for further replies.