Managing Coal Accumulation in New PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryankloos

Oct 31, 2013
Weston, CT
Hey Guys,

I've been burning my PE Summit for the a few days now and I am getting a lot of coal accumulation in the bottom of the firebox. The coals are under a fine layer of grey ash and slowly glowing away. The accumulation is about 3 inches deep (more in some areas) and is preventing me from using the entire firebox dimension for loading.

I've tried bringing the coals up front after a burn with the damper open to burn them off but there still exists a large accumulation in the back of the stove.

What is the best way to avoid/manage this with the Summit?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

After moving them to the front center, try putting a 2x4 scrap or small split on the coals to burn them down quicker. Open up the air and let it burn down for about 30 minutes. After burn down I move the remaining coals to the center front if loading E/W or just to the center front and back if loading N/S. Also, it sounds like you may need a coal rake to move them around easier.

Last edited:
Yep, A handful of smaller wood will get the fire back to an active state and help burn down the coals and get your stove temp back up.

I think my problem has been inadequate relocation of burning coals forward. I do need a rake, and have been trying to relocate the coals with a fireplace shovel. I'll get a rake.

When I move the coals forward, should I bring them all forward leaving bare brick in the rear of the stove? If so, do I place the new splits on top of the coals or behind the coals (assuming I'm loading E/W)? Sorry to be so green... This is my first wood stove. So far I'm loving the free heat!!!

Thanks for the help and advice.

Bryan

No, leave the ash bed, just rake the coals forward to the front half of the firebox. The remaining ash helps insulate the firebox. Put the small split right on top of the coals.

So if I understand correctly...

1. Rake coals forward in a line to front of firebox leaving ash behind with rake.
2. load new wood back to front with a smaller split on top of the coal bed.
3. Let new wood ignite with damper open until stove reached temp or all wood is charred.
4. Close down damper and let wood burn down until stove looses temp.
5. Repeat

Does this seem right?

Thanks!

Since you invariably carry some ash to the front with the coals what I do first is with the shovel to push the ash in the front to the back and then rake the coals forward. This way you don't get a huge ash/coal heap in the front but mostly coals. Burning a small load of dry pine with the coals also helps. Btw. Is your wood dry? A lot of coals could indicate that the wood is too wet. And if that is an insert with blower turn the blower off after a few hours when the stovetemp goes down. That will keep the firebox hotter and the coals burn down more.

So if I understand correctly...

1. Rake coals forward in a line to front of firebox leaving ash behind with rake.
2. load new wood back to front with a smaller split on top of the coal bed.
3. Let new wood ignite with damper open until stove reached temp or all wood is charred.
4. Close down damper and let wood burn down until stove looses temp.
5. Repeat

Does this seem right?

Thanks!

Nope. That will provide a conflaguration if there is a large coal bed. Step 2 should be just a single small split on top of the hot coals, no other wood. Then open up the air 50-100% and let the coals and single split burn down for about 30 minutes. Then proceed to your steps 2-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.