manifold picture request.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

88rxn/a

Feb 12, 2008
northeast PA
im ready to begin my manifold. i am going to have 4 zone and was wondering if you would kindly share your ideas on how you built your manifolds so i may get an idea (s)?

Mine is simply a series of 1 1/4" x 3/4" tees spaced a few inches apart. I have a baseboard / zone valve system. The zone valves are 3/4" and can be isoalted via a pair of gate valves, one on either side of each zone valve. My supply and return manifolds are both 1 1/4" copper, hand-made using sweat tees. I don't have a good picture, and I suspect that others may have more elegant schemes. Certainly others have better looking solder joints. Mine does work fine, though.

What plumbing method are you using? You can pick-up a manifold to match it from the same source.

For example I am using Propex, so I picked up a 1" copper 4 port manifold without connector and valves. In my case I am using manual valves, so I just soldered the Propex valve and connectors. I don't know if I needed to but I selected a high strength solder.

If you are doing a crimped pex solutions then you can find those manifolds with the manual valves and connectors already added.

These are low cost ideas, if money is no object then you can purchase a manifold with built in flowmeters, electric valves, as a modular assembly (they are great just expensive).

There are a wide range of manifold options on Flea-bay, and most of them aren't horribly expensive, especially if you want a manifold with a lot of functionality beyond just having a bunch of tees in a row... It looks to me like the fancier you want to get, the better off you will be with one of the ready-made units, as they can be more compact than something built from parts, and it avoids the hassles of building everything up from parts. I haven't done a detailed breakdown of the costs, but I suspect that if you want to get something with flow control valves, shutoffs, and so forth, it might not be that bad to get the assembly compared to what the peice parts cost would be either...

One other thing to consider is if you think there is any chance of wanting to add more loops later, it can be a good idea to get a manifold with a few extra branches on it - it will cost a bit more now, but far less than adding more to it at a later time.

Gooserider

great advice.
i am using PEX tubing.
i was trying out Ebay and didnt find what really suites me. i thought to build one myself but like you said, it may be cheaper to buy a complete unit.

I have built a couple of manifolds. I mount them to plywood usually, easier to build on a bench and then mount to the wall and pipe to it.

Attachments

• DSCF4417.jpg
    DSCF4417.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCF4482.jpg
    DSCF4482.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF4501.jpg
    DSCF4501.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 222
88rxn/a said:
great advice.
i am using PEX tubing.
i was trying out Ebay and didnt find what really suites me. i thought to build one myself but like you said, it may be cheaper to buy a complete unit.

For what it's worth department, a lot of the Ebay vendors are just putting up a few sample manifolds at any given time - if you go to their "stores" or contact them via "write to seller" with a description of what you want, they can often help you get closer to what you want...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.