Manitoba ,NW Ontario

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excell

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2009
Winnipeg
Do we have any one else on this forum from Manitoba ,or NW Ontario . We could start posting our embarrassing pellet prices on here .It might help us get the price down a little . So far I have paid $5.70 bag $5.49 bag at Rona and $4.99 bag at Canadian tire . Canadian Tire was $6.99 but their price match brought it down .

what brand did you buy at Canadian Tire? Don't think I've heard of their price match policy-here in Atlantic Canada,pellets are 6.99 a bag at Canadian Tire but I got them for $4.99 last year,so I am hoping there will be a sale soon.It is now later in the year than last years sale so I am starting to wonder.....

Well lads,
don't think you are getting jabbed too badly. Here in north central ontario, mid way between Ottawa and North Bay, we are paying 5.99 - 6.99 a bag too.................. If you think this is bad, wait until July when they bring in the blended tax. We all have to pay our fair share so that the Idiots that run this province can decide what is good or not good for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What exactly is a "blended tax"? (so that we recognize it when it is proposed here....)

Hot_h20 said:
What exactly is a "blended tax"? (so that we recognize it when it is proposed here....)

Harmonized Sales Tax.

Basically GST + PST combined...

Thank goodness I live in Alberta.

[quote author="pete324rocket" date="1257191557"]what brand did you buy at Canadian Tire? Don't think I've heard of their price match policy-here in Atlantic Canada,pellets are 6.99 a bag at Canadian Tire but I got them for $4.99 last year,so I am hoping there will be a sale soon.It is now later in the year than last years sale so I am starting to wonder.....[/quote

Winnipeg Forest Products Premium grade wood pellets . I think they might be pine They are made here . Canadian Tire price match they beat the competition by 10% plus give you double CT money . They do that on anything they sell . It has to be identical product . I don't think they sold many last year ,they were shocked when I wanted 20 bags .
I am trying to figure where to put another 20 and do it again .I now have 52 bags .

13% Tax on top of $6.99 bloody ridiculous . I thought they were going to lower the tax .O that was a politician that said that I almost believed it . It came down 1%
that's as good as a lie .

[quote author="Hot_h20" date="1257215290"]What exactly is a "blended tax"? (so that we recognize it when it is proposed here....)[/quote

Thank God there still remains some sanity in your state re the tax thing. Get down there several times a year on my Harley. Love the state, the people are first rate, and I buy as much of my stuff as I can while I am there...................

Excell said:
Do we have any one else on this forum from Manitoba ,or NW Ontario . We could start posting our embarrassing pellet prices on here .It might help us get the price down a little . So far I have paid $5.70 bag $5.49 bag at Rona and $4.99 bag at Canadian tire . Canadian Tire was $6.99 but their price match brought it down .

I think that 'more competition' is what will help work at reducing the prices.... unfortunately there isn't very much competition locally where I am in NWO and I get the impression Canadian Tire doesn't really care too much whether they sell a lot of them or not. I guess they sell too much other 'stuff' to worry a lot about just 'pellets'.

I paid $5.99 for lignetics on sale for 2 days only... then when they seen that things were starting to move, they jacked them up to $6.99..... :shut: too much for me...even if they are lignetics hardwood. I barely swallowed the $5.99. for them. And no discount for a ton either. I have 5 tons stored now of them so will keep my eyes pealed for deals when they come up and get them whether I have 5 tons stored or not. This way, I'll never be in a corner (their corner). :mad: Anyway, that's the balance of buying and selling I guess...... :)

There was a pellet mill in Ear Falls, called Lakewood Industries. They may still be running as the sawmill in Ear Falls is running until Dec 18th. In 2006 a ton of pellets was 180 bucks there.

I imagine the price has gone up some.... maybe worth looking into?

havlat24 said:
There was a pellet mill in Ear Falls, called Lakewood Industries. They may still be running as the sawmill in Ear Falls is running until Dec 18th. In 2006 a ton of pellets was 180 bucks there.

Sorry to say, I burned a half a ton of Lakewood last winter..... IMO, they didn't have their process down, There was no heat in their product, too much ash, and too many fines.... the pellet used to crumble and not hold together very well..... a good friend of mine (who I split the ton with) had a hopper fire because of them.... all the crumbling fines spilling down his feeder shoot and the fire tracked back up the sawdust trail into the hooper. He's not burning them any more either. Maybe they improved their process I don't know..... either way, I'm done with them...so is he...... :roll:

Here's what someone else thought of them too..... https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41769/ (last post at the bottom of this thread).

CanadaClinker said:
havlat24 said:

Sorry to say, I burned a half a ton of Lakewood last winter..... IMO, they didn't have their process down, There was no heat in their product, too much ash, and too many fines.... the pellet used to crumble and not hold together very well..... a good friend of mine (who I split the ton with) had a hopper fire because of them.... all the crumbling fines spilling down his feeder shoot and the fire tracked back up the sawdust trail into the hooper. He's not burning them any more either. Maybe they improved their process I don't know..... either way, I'm done with them...so is he...... :roll:

The first year i put my stove in, i got lakewood pellets.... i thought something was wrong with my stove, couldnt get any heat...... same problems you were describing. The next 2 years the product was great.... comparable to the pinnacle pellets the truvalue was selling. Of course Im no longer in Northern Ontario... But if I was in Ear Falls, I would buy them again..... They used to drive their forklift right to your house and drop them off.

They're material is primarily kiln dried planer shavings. I do not believe they dry the material any further.... so if you get some pellets from a run of a higher moisture content lumber you probably get a pellet that is simliar to what your describing.

Thank God there still remains some sanity in your state re the tax thing. Get down there several times a year on my Harley. Love the state, the people are first rate, and I buy as much of my stuff as I can while I am there…................

Thanks, with Massachusetts @ 9%, we will probably hold on to our 0% for as long as possible.

Good news for your trips here, the dollar is almost at parity between our countries. Love to go to Canadian Tire, but that was before the decrease in the dollar :)

havlat24 said:
CanadaClinker said:
havlat24 said:

The first year i put my stove in, i got lakewood pellets.... i thought something was wrong with my stove, couldnt get any heat...... same problems you were describing. The next 2 years the product was great.... comparable to the pinnacle pellets the truvalue was selling. Of course Im no longer in Northern Ontario... But if I was in Ear Falls, I would buy them again..... They used to drive their forklift right to your house and drop them off.

They're material is primarily kiln dried planer shavings. I do not believe they dry the material any further.... so if you get some pellets from a run of a higher moisture content lumber you probably get a pellet that is simliar to what your describing.

....... I bought my pellets from them Last December 2008, they must have saved one of those bad tons in the corner for me and my buddy to try since we were from out of town..... don't get me wrong, I was all hep to support the local pellet producer and had visions of a secure place to get my pellets, but after half a ton, the vision faded I'm sorry to say...... anyway...now I have 'Lignetics'..... Yay..... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.