Mansfield disassembly procedure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedOak

Nov 25, 2007
Central Ma
Does anyone have a dis-assembly procedure for the Hearthstone Mansfield? I had to replace the front cast iron section of my door frame and managed to snap off the top two screws because they were encased in refractory cement. I have the screws loose but because they have a wad of cement on the back side they need to come out from the rear of the frame. I have everything else removed but I can't seem to figure out how to get the back section of the frame out. I also want to replace the gaskets sandwiched between these parts as they are pretty frayed.

Any suggestions?

HI

If I understand you correctly. That the screws will not come out the front and must go to the back with no head on the screws.

Is their room for the screw to go to the back?

If it will go to the back then you will have to get it very loose and lubed good penitraiting oil.

Then you will either need to drill it out and tap the threads. Or you will need to get something smaller than the thread size( small self taping stainless screw) and put it into or glue it to the broken off peace and then use that to screw it in tell it goes thru or lets loose of your peice. If you put the screw in be gental with it as if you brake that off in their it will be hard drilling it out.

The door frame bolts to the primary air manifold, which is as wide and tall as the inside of the firebox. The only way to get that out with the door frame still attached is to completely disassemble the stove. The top casting of the stove sandwiches the primary air manifold into place. If the bolts are loose, try cutting them with a dremel after the cement but before the manifold. Then you should be able to unscrew the remaining portion from the manifold without damaging the threads If you can rotate them 360 degrees before they jamb up, try using a grinding attachment on the dremel to clean enough cement off to back them out intact. They're standard size bolts (can't remember the size at the moment). I replaced them with stainless bolts when I rebuilt my stove.

Thanks for the replies. My main issue is I can't get to the cement covering the back of the screws as their is no access. They spin 360 without any problem, they just won't come out. And I also wanted to replace the gaskets between the stones and the primary air manifold, the flat ribbon type gaskets installed at the factory have frayed on just a few short years. If I futz with it long enough I am sure I can work the screws out - I just wanted to replace the inner gasket and it looks like I am not going to get that done.

Next question, how do you reinstall the ceramic baffle plate and thermal mat properly? The only secondary air tube that is removable from what I can see is the third from the front. Do you remove this tube and just angle the plate back into place?

I wouldn't worry about replacing the exposed frayed gasket in that area. It's only there to make the metal splines fit tight in the stone slots. What is exposed and fraying can simply be removed. Cement is what is sealing the stones to the door and manifold (as long as you haven't disturbed anything). The only gaskets you need to worry about replacing are the glass, main door, and ash pan door.

JonOfSunderland said:
I wouldn't worry about replacing the exposed frayed gasket in that area. It's only there to make the metal splines fit tight in the stone slots. What is exposed and fraying can simply be removed. Cement is what is sealing the stones to the door and manifold (as long as you haven't disturbed anything). The only gaskets you need to worry about replacing are the glass, main door, and ash pan door.

o, there is fibreglass between the frame and stone.

http://woodheatstoves.com/hearthstone-mansfield-8011-exploded-view-and-parts-list-p-12402.html
see part# 25 from the exploded view

as for the cement, get it wet, it disolves in a day or so. i like a wet sponge. set it on the cement to "slack" come back later and wrench

Again, thanks for everyone's input. I have moved the primary intake away from the stones slightly and don't think I have compromised anything. I can get the screws out with some work and my main concern is getting the ceramic baffle and thermal mat back into place after I get the door frame bolted back into place. Any insight as how to accomplish this? Remove the third secondary air tube (the only one with a cotter pin?)

Status
Not open for further replies.