Mansfield installation ... baby steps.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Dempsey

Sep 8, 2013
Well ...

I'm looking for some pointers.

I'm going to do a through the wall installation on this new stove, and probably cuth through the overhang on the roof (which is about 13").

I'd like to put a slab of bluestone down underneath as a hearthpad, and I'm pretty sure 48 X 48 is going to be enough.

What do I need to put under the stone to meet code?

Should I buy the "Through the wall" kit from Metalbestos, or just assemble the parts as I go?

It's about 21 feet from ground to peak ... I will probably go through the wall at 4 or 5 feet off the floor (which is about a foot over ground-level).

How much pipe will I need?

How far above the peak do I have to go?

Well ...

I'm looking for some pointers.

I'm going to do a through the wall installation on this new stove, and probably cuth through the overhang on the roof (which is about 13").

I'd like to put a slab of bluestone down underneath as a hearthpad, and I'm pretty sure 48 X 48 is going to be enough.

What do I need to put under the stone to meet code?

What does the OM say is need as floor protection? It will have the required size needed as well as the R or k factor min required as well

Should I buy the "Through the wall" kit from Metalbestos, or just assemble the parts as I go?
IMO always best to buy what you need at one time.

It's about 21 feet from ground to peak ... I will probably go through the wall at 4 or 5 feet off the floor (which is about a foot over ground-level).
How much pipe will I need?
How far above the peak do I have to go?

It needs to be at least 2 feet higher then ANYTHING within 10 feet of the termination. So if it's just the roof within 10 feet and you have say a 6/12 pitch then 10 x 6" = 60" plus the 2 feet =84"

Always check with any local codes that may differ....IE building Inspectors.

Last edited:
The hearth pad needs to be non-combustible, 34.5" x 46" minimum. A 48" sq stone slab should work fine. You might want to put down a backerboard of 1/2 Durock for leveling if the floor is not quite even. Unless the wall is unusual, the Metalbestos kit should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.