Mansfield owners a few questions please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motor7

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2009
East TN.
I have the old H-1 up and running. It's currently in a 30x36 un-insulated shop(quonset hut). I am burning seasoned beech but some is a little damp because we have been pummeled with rain on & off all month(snow & ice now). I am getting about 6 hrs of use-able heat each load, & the surface temp runs around 350, The outside temps around freezing. I think under the conditions it's doing pretty good. I had to neck down the flue at the stove from 8" to 6", so I believe this is effecting the burn rate.

Anyway, looking at the specs, the H-1 is listed as having 86% maximum combustion efficiency, 100,000 btu & 18 hr heat life. The Mansfield a 77.4% efficiency-low heating value, 80,000 btu & 14 hr heat life.
The way/method the H-1 was tested back in the 80's has to be different than now & I was wondering if anyone here knows the difference between max combustion & low heating value?

Also what surface temp does your Mansfield cruise at? Keep in mind I averaged the temp over the whole top. Mine runs 350 every where but directly over the damper which stays just under 500 degrees.

Also, I have no ash pan...how do you like yours?

RD

HearthstoneH-I072.jpg

bump....

nothin'.....are all Mansfield owners on holiday?

:>~

RD

Motor7 said:
I have the old H-1 up and running. It's currently in a 30x36 un-insulated shop(quonset hut). I am burning seasoned beech but some is a little damp because we have been pummeled with rain on & off all month(snow & ice now). I am getting about 6 hrs of use-able heat each load, & the surface temp runs around 350, The outside temps around freezing. I think under the conditions it's doing pretty good. I had to neck down the flue at the stove from 8" to 6", so I believe this is effecting the burn rate.

Anyway, looking at the specs, the H-1 is listed as having 86% maximum combustion efficiency, 100,000 btu & 18 hr heat life. The Mansfield a 77.4% efficiency-low heating value, 80,000 btu & 14 hr heat life.
The way/method the H-1 was tested back in the 80's has to be different than now & I was wondering if anyone here knows the difference between max combustion & low heating value?

Also what surface temp does your Mansfield cruise at? Keep in mind I averaged the temp over the whole top. Mine runs 350 every where but directly over the damper which stays just under 500 degrees.

Also, I have no ash pan...how do you like yours?

RD

HearthstoneH-I072.jpg

I like to keep surface temp around 500-550 on the top center stone. It holds this for a few hours then drops very slowly. If I load at 10 pm, my wife can fire it back up the next morning as late at 11am. At that point the surface temp is aound 250.

I think the H-1 is more closely related to the Equinox than the Mansfield, it's huge!. As far as efficiency goes I think when they talk "combustion" it's how efficient the wood burns and "low heat value" is overall stove efficiency of delivering heat into the room. Lots of variables in all these efficiency numbers and your older stove is less efficient than the newer ones but can still be a great heater if burned properly.

CK, 250 after 13 hrs is awesome. If my shop was insulated I know it would retain heat a lot longer. Yes, the top center is the place I get the highest reading, but have you ever checked the temp of the front & side door?.......700-900+ degrees! I use a infra red thermo & since I am learning the burn I have checked temps all over the stove...it's interesting. My wood is cut in the 20" range for the old stove so next year I will cut it all to 24" length. That should boost the overnight burn times some.
Thanks Todd, I was guessing the same. I would love to see a epa rating on the H-1 just out of curiosity. I am burning the same amount of wood as my old stove, but the heat output is way better. We have been leaving the shop door open & getting some decent heat into the apt(30x14)....couldn't do that before.

RD

The photo shows the thermometer on the pipe. Not sure if thats the reading your looking at. The H-1 doesnt have near the efficiency that the new Hearthstones have. It looks like your pipe is reduced from 8" to 6" anyhow. I'll tell you this, the Mansfield we have in our showroom will give us a full 7 hours of very usable heat, a 200 degree surface temp after 10+ hours and enough coals to rekindle the fire after 15 hours. If you wanted something bigger, it would be the Equinox but that should really run on an 8" chimney.

Yes, I had to neck it down or replace the entire flue. The H-1 is temporarily installed here & goes up to the house when I finish building it. The old stove will go back in the shop so I am not going to change the flue. The house will get 8".

Does anyone have an IPL for a Mansfield? I'd like to see what changes were made to boost the effeciency over the H-1.

RD

it's all about secondary combustion. New EPA certified stoves (90% of them anyhow) use clean burn technology to introduce hot air into the smoke coming off the wood. You get more heat per pound of wood and much less creosote. (They also qualify for a nice tax credit) There tons of threads on what makes new clean burn stoves better than the old smokers. Also, I dont know what an IPL is.

Internal Parts List.....it usually comes with a diagram of how all the parts fit together. The IPL on the H-1 was very helpfull during the re-build. The H-1 has a solo 1" secondarty burn tube, so I am wondering how many & what size in the Mansfield?

RD

I found the Mansfield IPL here:

http://woodheatstoves.com/images/Hearthstone Mansfield 8011 exp view.pdf

Ahh, it's way different. It has 4 secondary burn tubes and a ceramic baffle. I may have to tinker with my H-1 & add a few more secondaries....sounds like another project!

RD

ahhh, I knew it! Make sure the baffles are made of stainless. Maybe sure they are connected to the combustion air inlet. Also have the air travel thru chambers inside the stove so it is preheated prior to entering the combustion chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.