Mantel and trim clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Setter Fan

Jan 17, 2014
CT
I am trying to better understand mantel and trim clearances for a fireplace install of a wood stove. Do these clearances apply if the stove is sitting on the hearth beyond the mantel and trim? For example my mantel only measure 4” from the wall and my side trim is only ½”

The wood stove would not be set within the fireplace opening but sit on the exterior hearth easily beyond the ½” trim and could sit beyond the 4” mantel. This would be a rear vent set up. Do I still need to take into consideration the below clearances for the Jotul F55.

The hearth will have to be extended, just want to ensure that is my only obstacle.

upload_2015-6-3_14-1-15.png

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 193
Yes, you need to follow dimension A mantel clearance requirement. The stove top radiates heat upward as does the connector pipe. That's a simple board and molding mantel. Maybe replace it with a non-combustible mantel?

Thanks begreen. Yeah I agree the mantel will have to be removed or replaced with something non combustible.

Am I interpreting the trim correctly? Since my trim is less than 1" it is ok?

Like my Rockland there but would really like to replace it with a rear vent free stander!

The trim would be governed by dimension C, 31".

You could also shield it:

20150131_170618_zpsd1016dd2.jpg
20141022_220403_zps06e64f3e.jpg

Last edited:
thank you, really appreciate the help!

Midfielder, can you give me a little detail on your setup. We have pretty similar looking setups. Can the heat shield be removed? Did you give any thought about removing the mantel or trim? Really very creative solution

Hi Setter - I really didn't want to take the mantel off. It's a federal period piece that I got at a local building materials recycler and I really like it. So I went for shielding. I did the design for the shield on cardboard and took it to my sheet metal guy who cut and bent the pieces for me. It's painted with hi-temp industrial grade paint from spray cans - careful surface prep to remove oil. It's fastened to the inside perimeter of the fireplace firebox (which is steel) with 1" porcelain stand-offs and stainless sheet metal screws - four on the top and three on each side so it's easy to remove. I was going to pop rivet it together but it doesn't seem to need it. Here's a little better detail of the left side:

MantelShieldDetail_zpso4tqdi1d.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/midfielder/MantelShieldDetail_zpso4tqdi1d.jpg~original

Status
Not open for further replies.