Mantel clearance issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamT

Sep 30, 2014
NW, Iowa
Hi, I'm brand new to this site, but have been burning for years out of my cabin. Now I'm looking to add an insert into my fireplace at home. The problem I'm running into is that my fireplace is built up very high which doesn't leave me very much clearance for for my mantel.

I've read several of the other threads on here discussing this, but I haven't seen one yet with this tight of a fit. From base to mantel I only have about 30 1/2". Does anyone know of an insert that would fit in this space or am I just desperately grasping at straws here?

I have a steel manufacturing plant where we make steel campground products so making a custom heat shield would not be a problem.

I'm just looking for supplemental heat. I don't see the point in wasting all of my good oak in a fireplace where the heat goes right out the chimney.

Any input would be great! Thanks

unnamed2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That mantel is low and close, even for an open fireplace. Could it be hung higher?

Agree with the mantel height a concern even for the fireplace as is. In addition, the fireplace looks quite small; I am wondering if you can even fit a decent sized insert in there. What are its measurements? Since the floor looks like tiles: Have you thought about putting a rear-vented stove in front of the hearth? Will take up some space, though.

The dimensions of the fireplace are W=33", H=22", & D=22 1/2". I was looking at the Regency I2400 which would fit in the fireplace. My only concern is the mantel.

Raising the mantel is not an option for me because then I would be forced to redo the rock background. I don't believe I could convince my wife to raise my new fireplace budget that far.

What I was hoping to do was to fabricate a heatshield coming off the top of the insert at about a 45 degree angle that extends to the end of the mantel. Hopefully this would direct the heat away from the mantel and out into the rest of the room.

Obviously my concern is whether or not that would redirect enough heat for it to be safe as well as if that would negate my homeowners insurance.

I realize this was a special case and was just about to give up on the whole project until I came upon this website. I thought maybe someone had done something like this before or could let me know if this is even feasible.

Can new ledgestone just be added to on top of the existing veneer? This is a really low mantel and the i2400 needs 20" from the top of the stove. I don't see them granting an exception for a mantel shield in the manual. You'll have to get written permission from them for that along with the specific allowed reduction from 20". What is the mantel clearance from the stove opening now?

Another option would be replacing the current mantle. A new, thinner one would be much higher and could cover the exposed area with a thin face board. The clearance for the face trim is 12". Regardless, that is going to be a tight install with not a lot of wiggle room.

Last edited:
Yeah that's pretty much what I was expecting. I'll have to get a quote on that. Laying ledgestone is not my area of expertise and this isn't how I want to learn!

Nice looking hearth, the mantel is just a boxed-in shelf (not so great IMO). I wonder if there is stone beneath?

That's definitely worth a look. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like underneath.
I was going to follow-up with my own question... You have a great opportunity here if there is nothing behind the shelf. It's hard to tell from the pic, but accenting stone tile (travertine comes to kind) placed diamond shape to break up the horizontal stone work or even a ceramic tile in a bold color (red, blue, whatever) if these are accenting colors in other areas of your home. You can always add a solid stone/wood mantel at a higher location. And yes, I have 3 kids (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Status
Not open for further replies.