Mantel clearances for a hearthstone heritage woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
Can someone please help me understand something...I ripped out the existing mantel when I install my wood stove a few years back and I really need to put a new one up before xmas - but I am not quite understanding the clearances I need.

It is a hearthstone heritage woodstove, installed in front of a fireplace - pipe goes out back and then up thru the fireplace and into the chimney.

The attached picture is a copy of the manual with the pertinent setbacks - just need to make sure I am interpreting them correctly. My setup is going to look pretty much like the diagram, i.e. just in front of the fireplace with a mantel up above

Do I read it correctly that there can be no wood at all within 8 inches of either side, and no wood at all within 21 inches of the top?

(The scale of the diagram must be off because the 8 inches to the side looks just like the 21 inches above.)

If I really need to keep all wood 21 inches away from the top of the stove, I am going to have to have a HUGE mantel..what do you guys do?

Attachments

• mantel.jpg
    mantel.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3,537
That 21" and 8" clearance indicated on the picture labeled "FRONT VIEW" is for wood trim on the surround. So if you have a wood trimmed cavity behind your fireplace, those clearances must be respected.

The mantle itself must be 25" above the top of your stove.

-john

Status
Not open for further replies.