Mantel deflector - positioning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greggbb

First let me say that I'm a newbie, and my 5100i Quadrafire insert will be installed in October. I'm very much looking forward to it, and lurking around the Hearth Room has been a great experience as I start to understand more about stoves, wood, and the entire process.

My wife was thrilled with the idea of a kettle that would humidify and add aroma, but it turns out we need a mantel deflector to abide by the clearance guidelines. So I have two questions:

- Does anyone have a 5100i with a deflector and still have a kettle or diffuser? What would fit?

- Do I have the option to mount the deflector higher, allowing more clearance for a kettle? In another thread I saw mention of someone who used magnets to mount their deflector, allowing more clearance as well as removing it during warmer months. Is this a feasible (and safe) alternative?

Thanks so much!

Gregg

I believe the mantel shield or deflector can be almost anywhere between the stove and the mantel or wood you are trying to protect. (ETA you want to check your manual though!!)
Some use mantel shields that are mounted directly to the mantel using screws with ceramic spacers that set it off from the mantel by an inch or so. Seems like many put their mantel shields at the top of the surround, in an insert. I am the one who mounted mine with magnets. The top of my fireplace is well over a foot above my insert, and under the brick is an iron lintel. The magnets stick right to that easy.

That quad is a really nice looking insert. If you are using the surround, you can just put the mantel shield at an angle coming out of it, and slip it behind the surround. Then you could also remove it during the off season. That's what I would have done, if I had used the surround. there's a couple done like that, pictured here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/ind...61&tbnw=132&start=0&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

Status
Not open for further replies.