Mantel material above Fuego wood-burning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Harper

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Western South Dakota
We have a Fuego woodburning fireplace and would like to build a hearth, surround and mantel for it. Our first choice for the mantel was douglas fir to match some other woodwork in the same room so we contacted the city, county and manufactuer to find out what sort of safe clearances are required.

After an afternoon and a morning of phone time I'm more confused than ever. The manufactuer was only able to give us the following clearances for the mantel.

18" for combustible materials.

13" for un-shielded materials.

6" for shielded materials.

Unfortunately the person I spoke to was unable to give me examples of the three terms above, other than to say, obviously, that douglas fir would be a combustible material.

Thought I'd post here to see if I can get this sorted out.

Can you all give me examples of shielded and un-shielded materials?

Would a hollow metal mantel shield mounted underneath mean that a douglas fir mantel could be mounted 6" from the top of the box?

Our fireplace is small and placed awkwardly high off the ground. I have built several mock-ups and they look best the closer I can get the mantel to the box. 18" is too much. 6" would be ideal.

Thanks for any input.

Status
Not open for further replies.