Mantle Clearance for BK Princess or other

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zipping_horse

Nov 21, 2011
Ohio
I have 38.25" inches from hearth to wood mantle. The Princess insert is 23" high and wants 22" to the mantle (23+22=45) that's 7" more than what I have. Anyone know if the addition of a mantle shield will give enough clearance for this insert?
I like the BK but would rather be open to any quality insert than replace the mantle. Some inserts list the clearance with a mantle shield but many do not.
So far I have not found much that will fit under this mantle. For example the PE Vista will just barely fit at 19.75" high and a mantle clearance with shield of 18.5"
Am I stuck with either a small insert or replacing the mantle? Anyone have any suggestions for a mid-sized insert that will work?
If I have to go with a small insert what do you think are my best options the Vista? Englander 13-NCI? Other?
Thanks.

I'd call BK tomorrow to see if they would endorse the usage of a mantle shield If all other clearances are ok, then I'd think they might approve a proper mantel shield. If possible, get it in writing and keep a copy with the stove receipts.

If they do not allow a reduction with a mantel shield, maybe look at the Regency or Jotul inserts and speak with their local dealers about this option.

I believe the Enviro 1700 is 12 inches with mantle shield.

Thanks for the input guys. Definitely need to call BK.
The Enviro 1700 looks really interesting too, hadn't looked at that one.

Folks seem quite happy with the Enviro line of stoves. Worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.