Mantle Shield on Jotul 350

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
does anyone by chance know what the clearence to top trim with a mantle shield is on a JOtul 350 Winterport? The manual doesn't say, and Jotul has yet to call back my dealer/my dealer has yet to call ME back. So just wondering if anyone in here has run into this at all. Does anyone even own one of these or seen in person? Because of my particular install, this insert is leading the small pack... THANKS!

philaphire said:
does anyone by chance know what the clearence to top trim with a mantle shield is on a JOtul 350 Winterport? The manual doesn't say, and Jotul has yet to call back my dealer/my dealer has yet to call ME back. So just wondering if anyone in here has run into this at all. Does anyone even own one of these or seen in person? Because of my particular install, this insert is leading the small pack... THANKS!

The 350 makes no provision (at least no provision is stated in the manual) for reduced clearances if you use a shield...in fact, the shield isn't mentioned.... BUT...the larger C450 Jotul DOES state that clearances are reduced if a mantle shield is given and it gives the table showing the reductions......since this same detailed table is missing from the 350 manual, my guess is that you can't reduce clearances in the 350 by using a shield..... let me know if you find otherwise.

350 manual states on p. 9 that "Clearance reduction to mantle construction may be made in conformance to NFPA 211" So, perhaps the question is what is NFPA 211? New thread maybe???

philaphire said:
350 manual states on p. 9 that "Clearance reduction to mantle construction may be made in conformance to NFPA 211" So, perhaps the question is what is NFPA 211? New thread maybe???

Yes... I hear you but I've read both manuals extensively.......since the 450 manual says clearances can be reduced by using a shield but the 350 says nothing about one, unless the manufacturer says they (clearances) can be reduced with a shield, it's probably out of the question......it's their insert (Jotuls) and unless they say it's approved with one, it isn't regardless of what the NFPA 211 says.......

Status
Not open for further replies.