Manual 10 Ton Log Splitter on Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodJBoy

Jul 12, 2013
New Jersey
I enjoy splitting wood as a form of exercise and have ash logs delivered to my home once a year and I split and burn them the following winter. This year, my supplier was low on ash and sent me 1.5 cords of Ash logs and what appears to be 1.5 cords of elm. I am pissed off to say the least.

But, I am stuck with this elm wood that I can sledge hammer with wedges but I was hoping that the 10 ton manual log splitter, like the one sold at Northern Tool, would work on elm.

Does anyone have experience with a 10 ton manual two hand crank log splitter on elm logs? Does this type of device work with elm?

Thanks!

Last edited:
From the videos I have seen, they are incredibly slow. These videos are for the Harbor Freight version.

I have no experience with the splitter or elm, but the comments concerning the short travel of the splitter and the reputation that elm has for difficulty suggest to me that you will probably be disappointed.

Elm is a crap shoot. Some could be real easy some will be a pita and probably impossible without the right splitter.

If you are POed now you are gonna stay that way. Elm will shred and be stringy no matter what you split it with. Do you own this manual splitter?
Ive never seen them, dont know if you will over tax it.
Why not rent a hydraulic splitter for a day or so and have a friend help you split it all. A 26T will pulverize elm just fine.
If you already own the manual you can try it, but if you dont I would rent something bigger.

I bought a manual hand-crank splitter last year (looks like it may be the same model as the one in Whoopee's post). It was on sale and I had a coupon which brought the price below $100. If you have back problems and can't swing a maul, then it could be very useful. But if it's hard to split with a maul/wedges, it will be even more tough with this. The logs have to be cut to just the right length, and the splitter has a very short range, meaning you can use it for the initial split, but then usually have to end up using a wedge anyway to deal with the stringy stuff on the far end of the log. Works great on something like tulip poplar, though. If I lived closer, I'd sell you mine for $20.

If you are POed now you are gonna stay that way. Elm will shred and be stringy no matter what you split it with. Do you own this manual splitter?
Ive never seen them, dont know if you will over tax it.
Why not rent a hydraulic splitter for a day or so and have a friend help you split it all. A 26T will pulverize elm just fine.
If you already own the manual you can try it, but if you dont I would rent something bigger.

Thanks for your advice. I do not own this manual splitter but I was contemplating getting it. I am going to hold off and keep sledge hammering for now.

Elm is a sickness... I tried splitting an 8" diameter, 18" long log of it yesterday with a maul and the Fiskers super splitter. Both axes did nothing. Elm is about as easy to split as Mother Teresa.

I wand up using a sledge hammer and a couple (couple!) wedges. I put the first wedge all the way into this 8" log and nothing happened, no cracking! lol I had to put in a second wedge and that cracked it and then I still had to pry it apart.

I think I'd blow my brains out if I had to use one of those manual Harbor Freight splitters.

Definitely rent or maybe borrow? Heck, there could be somebody on these forums who lives near you who'd be willing to let you borrow theirs. We all know about the time, but what's your sanity worth?

American Elm is the main reason many of the members of this forum own a hydraulic splitter. Even with hydraulics, I still have a hatchet nearby to cut the strings after the cylinder has gone its full stroke. Also, I don't care what the BTU charts say, American Elm and White Ash are not even close when it comes to heat output and length of burn. My first year of burning was at least 50% Elm, now I won't even bother with it.

American Elm is the main reason many of the members of this forum own a hydraulic splitter. Even with hydraulics, I still have a hatchet nearby to cut the strings after the cylinder has gone its full stroke. Also, I don't care what the BTU charts say, American Elm and White Ash are not even close when it comes to heat output and length of burn. My first year of burning was at least 50% Elm, now I won't even bother with it.
I love ash wood. I have a VERY small yard (60' x 70') and I need a wood that burns hot, long and cures quickly. I split the ash by May and I am burning it in November just fine and it splits easier than a drunken tart. If I had a bigger yard, I would go for longing curing woods but I do not have room for more than 3 cords of wood on my yard. I am going to look into renting a hydraulic splitter. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I love ash wood. I have a VERY small yard (60' x 70') and I need a wood that burns hot, long and cures quickly. I split the ash by May and I am burning it in November just fine and it splits easier than a drunken tart. If I had a bigger yard, I would go for longing curing woods but I do not have room for more than 3 cords of wood on my yard. I am going to look into renting a hydraulic splitter. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Also, I'd definitely say something to your supplier and see if you can get an extra 1/4 cord (before you split everything else). The bait and switch would really ruffle my feathers.

No experience with Elm but from what everyone here says it can be a real b$tch to work with. I will however put in a plug for the manual splitter - got one from the local Tractor Supply on sale (something like $80 if I recall) and I broke up some fairly big and nasty yellow birch knots and uglies with it. It's not fast, not a replacement for a gas splitter by any means, but if you like to swing an axe, it's great for a few odd splits that would otherwise wear you down fast. Does not solve your elm problem, but not bad to have one around IMHO.

I don't care what the BTU charts say, American Elm and White Ash are not even close when it comes to heat output and length of burn
The charts I use say White Ash 23.6, Slippery (Red) Elm 21.6, American Elm 19.5. That sounds pretty close to what I see in the stove. Not a lot of Elm around here but what I get is mainly Red. It's also a bit easier to split than American.

Elm The reason I bought a splitter
Buck it up and rent a splitter for the day
easier with 2 people

Status
Not open for further replies.