Manual balancing valves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ball valves do the same thing for alot less money.

Check eBay and you will find some very good prices for either gate or ball valves. Do a search for "ball valve" in Business & Industrial > Industrial Supply & MRO (or do a search for gate valve), and you likely will find what you need for about $5 per valve + shipping. Multiple valve purchases usually are less expensive per valve than single valve purchases. And if you purchase more than you need, you usually can resell in eBay and recover at least part, if not more, of your cost.

docgogo said:
so how do you know when the system is "balanced"?

Everyone's system is different. In my case I am anal about placing dial thermometers and flow meters throughout the system so I know exactly what's happening at any point.

System may be "balanced" when each zone calling for heat gets the gpm's it needs to meet its heat demand. Without balancing valves, some zones likely will get more gpm's than other other zones due to head, and some zones will be plenty warm while others may be too cool. The balancing valves have the effect of adjusting the head to better achieve what each zone needs.

Not being sure who you are seeking to help understand as to valves, I used "ball valve" and "gate valve," and they describe exactly what I meant, even as defined in Wikipedia. I did not mean "globe valve." The benefit, however, is that I now understand more fully each type of valve. I am aware that gate valves are designed to be either fully opened or closed. A globe valve might be the best for fine adjustment of flow, but a ball valve usually performs satisfactorily in this application, and a gate valve can also accomplish the purpose, even if poorly.

Other types of valves which may be considered for a variety of applications (note particularly the brief description of application for ball, gate and globe valves):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve#Types_and_designations

* Ball valve, for on/off control without pressure drop.
* Butterfly valve, for flow regulation in large pipe diameters.
* Choke valve, a valve that lifts up and down a solid cylinder which is placed around or inside another cylinder which has holes or slots. Used for high pressure drops found in oil and gas wellheads.
* Check valve or non-return valve, allows the fluid to pass in one direction only.
* Diaphragm valve, some are sanitary predominantly used in the pharmaceutical and foodstuff industry.
* Expansion valve, used pressure reduction of fluid in general. Type of restrictor valve to reduce refrigerant pressure and temperature in short period of time in adiabatic expansion.
* Gate valve, mainly for on/off control, with low pressure drop.
* Globe valve, good for regulating flow.
* Knife valve, for slurries or powders on/off control.
* Needle valve for accurate flow control.
* Piston valve, for regulating fluids that carry solids in suspension.
* Pinch valve, for slurry flow regulation.
* Plug valve, slim valve for on/off control but with some pressure drop.

On the other hand, we might all be more circumspect in our use of the term "valve." The term applies to a wide range of devices, parts, components or elements, and the casual, or off-the-cuff, or even careless use of the term "valve" easily could be misleading, deceptive, or bizarre, depending upon the circumstances and perspective of the person to whom the term may be directed. Precision certainly is warranted, a value to which I am sure all subscribers to this forum aspire to adhere. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/valve

Is there a better option electronic I'm supposed to have 5 pumps total seems like cost to run the pumps could be a little high thanks keith

Status
Not open for further replies.