manual blower control englander???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoboy31

Feb 19, 2009
upstate,ny
anyone here been able to manually control the combustion blower on a 25pdvc???? just thought it would be great to be able to adjust combustion air flow.

speedoboy31 said:
anyone here been able to manually control the combustion blower on a 25pdvc???? just thought it would be great to be able to adjust combustion air flow.

You can control it somewhat by raising or lowering the LBA.

thanks guys, i was wondering about controlling it completely manually,so i could run it faster and slower than the control board would. the idea behind controlling it would b to adjust the flame on the fly for different pellets. i've been setting the hopper plate to get the same kind of results. does anyone know if a fault code will set if the combustion blower was disconnected??? maybe power the motor from an external source like a variable power supply??? anyone know off hand the voltage/amperage requirements for the combustion blower??

speedoboy31 said:
thanks guys, i was wondering about controlling it completely manually,so i could run it faster and slower than the control board would. the idea behind controlling it would b to adjust the flame on the fly for different pellets. i've been setting the hopper plate to get the same kind of results. does anyone know if a fault code will set if the combustion blower was disconnected??? maybe power the motor from an external source like a variable power supply??? anyone know off hand the voltage/amperage requirements for the combustion blower??

The requirements are generally on the manufacturers plate on the blower motor.

You understand that you will likely void your warranty, the safety labs listing, and your homeowners insurance obligation to pay if a fire or other issue arises from the change if you do what you are thinking about and the stove turns out to be the cause of the fire.

The combustion blower isn't really sensed by most controllers, the proxy sensor is the vacuum switch and as long as it sees a pressure difference it is happy, the other sensor is the proof of fire which is usually a temperature sensor. It wouldn't be impossible to detect the presence of a connected blower but you'd have to check out the electronics package in the controller to be certain without doing a test.

i think i would like to go ahead with this project----thank you for the warnings. if i run the comb blower too fast or too slow, the stove safety switched should kick in or the flame will just die--------right? this would be my argument with my insurance co------if the prob ever arrises. if i dont give the fire enough air, it'll just choke/too much air, and it'll burn up the fuel too fast and not light the next batch of pellets. any over-burning should be too hot for the stove and kill the feed. under-burn wont satisfy the proof of flame. i should be alright if i just manipulate the blower speeds to fit my liking.

speedoboy31 said:
i think i would like to go ahead with this project----thank you for the warnings. if i run the comb blower too fast or too slow, the stove safety switched should kick in or the flame will just die--------right? this would be my argument with my insurance co------if the prob ever arrises. if i dont give the fire enough air, it'll just choke/too much air, and it'll burn up the fuel too fast and not light the next batch of pellets. any over-burning should be too hot for the stove and kill the feed. under-burn wont satisfy the proof of flame. i should be alright if i just manipulate the blower speeds to fit my liking.

I would be very careful with the too little air amount. It would choke and smoke up the house if you were not watching it. There is also a chance while it is in the smokeing stage you could get a flash. Kind of an explosion effect if the gases get ignited. It will scare the crap out of you and anyone near the stove. There are flameable gases within the smoke, The more the smoke the more the flash.

There is a video on youtube that shows the flash effect. Turn your volume down due to the tacky music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4sbGpBgAVo

Just trying to inform you of some of the dangers. I also wish my stove had a combustion blower trim adjustment. Just another tweak to fine tune the stove and adjust for different fuel qualities. I would error on a bit more air than not enough to support a good flame. Tis all.

thanks everyone for your replies and cautions. this project wouldn't take place until springtime or so(i'll probably take the stove down to my garage to do it) i also want to rig up a duct/filter setup for my room air blower----easier to keep crap out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.