Manual hydraulic splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I got this manual hydraulic splitter recently. It does a good job, but I usually use the maul or for large stumps a wedge and a sledge hammer. It's rated at 10 tons, I think the manual says will split up to a 6 1/2" diameter, but I've done logs much larger than that. It's good for stubborn wood that for some reason the maul has a hard time with. Definitely worth $100, was on sale at Harbor Freight.

log splitter.jpg

I picked one up this spring too and am pleased with what it does. I do not have a need for much split wood because we have a small Jotul f3 cb and only do fall and spring heating. It is great for popping birch into splits. spruce is a little more reluctant. Nope, its not fast but is very quiet. Since I am retired I have all day!

It's a fine tool for folks who split by hand. Rather than wear yourself out trying to bust a hard, gnarly block or crotch, this splitter will make short work of it without noodling.

this splitter will make short work of it without noodling.

I've seen the term 'noodling' before on this forum. What is that?

Nope, its not fast but is very quiet. Since I am retired I have all day!

Yes - nice that the splitter is quiet, especially after running the chainsaw. I wish I was retired, I'd be outside a good part of the day splitting the approx. 2 cords of wood
my neighbor gave me! Tomorrow is Saturday, so will be time for that.

I've seen the term 'noodling' before on this forum. What is that?
Cut with the grain, not across, when you have a round to big move you can cut in half or quarters.

I had one of those. They are ok, but I ran into many things they would not break.

I took some logs to our local shop who sells them. These were small diameter logs which were near impossible to split with the axe due to grain issues. The splitter really took strain and I started bending the levers. I decided to rather split the ones I can with the axe and noodle the rest.

I eventually bought a hydro which works well but at a much higher price of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.