Manual Hydraulic Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
Any experience with a manually operated hydraulic log splitter, e.g.,, Harbor Freight's $99, Manually operated, two speed pump builds up to 10 tons of log-splitting pressure fast. Pump is operated by two 29-1/2'' steel handles. Includes pressure release valve?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it.

I have seen some success with the lower cost, perhaps $299, electric log splitters, but as they are usually only 5 tons, I assume the manual is "stronger" and will split some stuff the electric will not split. I suppose the electric moves the splitter head into position faster, but I assume the two speed manual means one moves the splitter head faster, the other develops the full 10 Tons of force.

Hey, I've seen those too, looks like they would be a good workout, but I have not tried nor do I know anybody who has one...

p.s. Seeing that you are from NJ, which exit? Or rather, where in NJ are you?

Jay

I have one, while not the fastest it get's the job done. I've used it on peices up to 12" diameter.............

Attachments

• Splitter.jpg
    Splitter.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 442
Mark,

Thanks, that's the information I'm looking for. I'm getting up there in years and the swinging of a maul/ax is getting to be difficult, getting harder to hit the target more than too heavy...I'm a big guy.

What unit do you have, about how much $$ ??

What do you split? NM, I'd guess mostly softwood.

Thanks, Jerry

WoodMann said:
I have one, while not the fastest it get's the job done. I've used it on peices up to 12" diameter.............

Looking at your splitter, I thought, "boy that hill behind it sure looks familiar..." :)

Hi Jay,

I'm in Clinton Township, near Flemington.

Mark's good results makes the pump tempting. I don't mind if it takes a few pumps to get the log to split, at least you're always working the same "hit", i.e,.don't have to swing a long handled something trying to hit the same area again. The two handles are, as I understand it, fast and slow. One moves the pump further per stroke than the other, whereas the other give more power while moving only a small amount with each pump. I'd guess it isn't hard work, difficult to pump either handle.

Jerry

Gosh, Jery- I went out to look at markings but no name anywhere. I got the unit on ebay for about $110. Neat thing is that there are little wheels at the end, thing weighs about 100 lbs- you can roll it into the corner of the garage when done, and it's small enough, as you can see to toss into the back of the truck and go to the site. Hey 'caud, you in the Santa Fe area? Possibly off of Old Santa Fe Trail.....................

Woodmann,

Thanks, I appreciate your hands-on information. The Harbor Freight (all China, most are anyway) has one for $99.99 and must be at least $20 to ship considering the weight. I think they get good shipping rates, I purchased a small wheel tire changing machine, just like the shops have, minus the power drive, and smaller, and it didn't cost a lot to ship, don't remember the amount. I think I have also seen these splitters at Home Depot (in season), but it may have just been the electric driven ones.

I've been to Santa Fe only once, in 2003, beautiful area, I was there in July I think and the temperature was not too hot, I did in fact take a short hike somewhere about 30 miles out of town, don't remember where anymore. I suppose it does get cold at night there in the winter, what are you at, about 7,000 feet?

Yeah- toward the fall/ winter the days are mild for the most part, but when the sun goes down the chill sets in quick- kinda like a horror movie................

Woodmann, yep, Santa Fe, Agua Fria/St. Francis area. And you?

Jerry, yes, we have big swings from daily high to nigthly low, 35-40 degrees typical.

Hey ‘caud- I live in eldorado actually but harvest the wood from my folks' land. THey have 20 acres out by Canada de Los Alomos. It's cool, I grew up there, rode bikes and ATV's for years around the very tres I'm cutting down. On a lighter note, The thought is always present in my mind how I'm stickin' it to PNM as I as a fell, buck, split and stack the wood.............

Status
Not open for further replies.